HM Plant Honda Gets Set For BSB Title Defence In Season Opener
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
HM Plant Honda Gets Set For BSB Title Defence In Season Opener
[Image: hondahdr.gif]

The HM Plant Honda team begin their title defence on their Honda Fireblades at Brands Hatch this Easter weekend (22-25 April) at the opening round of the British Superbike Championship season.

Ryuichi Kiyonari returns to defend his BSB number one plate as he bids to secure a record-breaking fourth championship title, whilst Shane 'Shakey' Byrne makes his BSB return and is looking to equal his team-mate’s three titles. In the National Superstock 1000 Championship, young Aussie rising star, Jason O’Halloran, makes his debut with the team and is aiming to get his season off to a strong start at Brands Hatch.

Kiyo said:

"Our pre-season testing has been very good. At every circuit we had lots to test, probably more than last year, but with Shakey we have worked together and we have been getting faster. We have tried very hard over the winter to improve as we want to win again! It is going to be important to be winning races at every round. There is a lot of pressure before Brands Hatch for everyone because nobody knows who is going to be fast. There is pressure on me because I am champion, but after the first race I think we can relax a little because there is so much that is unknown before we start racing. Shakey is especially fast at Brands Hatch and we are quite equal with our settings and our Fireblades so we will have to wait to see who is faster! I think the riders that were fighting for the championship last season will be there again and there are so many other riders who will also be fast. I want to win at Brands Hatch, for myself and the team and also the people of Japan."

Shakey said:

“It’s been a long winter but I am really ready to race now. I have said from the outset that the HM Plant Honda team knows how to make the Fireblade work; they have won titles so we know the potential we have, ahead of this season. Myself and Kiyo have been working together in testing and we have been heading in a very similar direction in terms of set-up, but now testing is done and it’s down to business. The Brands Hatch weekend is going to be massive; it is a track I have missed dearly since the last time I raced in BSB back in 2008. To be honest rolling down Paddock Hill Bend on the HM Plant Honda Fireblade on Good Friday will be enough to put a smile on my face from the start. I always seem to get lots of local support there and I want to do a good job on Easter Monday for the fans as well as myself and the team. The talking stops at Brands Hatch; it is then all about the racing.”

Jason said:

“I am looking forward to this weekend and getting things rolling after the winter. We have had lots of pre-season testing, more than I have had before, and we feel really prepared for the first round now. The HM Plant Honda team has been working hard over the past few months and I think we are in a pretty good position going into the championship. We will be looking for a win on Monday for sure and I can’t wait to get started.”

Team Manager, Havier Beltran, concluded:

“Since the end of last season we knew we had a strong team with Shakey joining Kiyo. Between them they have five titles so they know what is needed of them to win a championship. We know we have the platform to do it as we have worked hard on development of the Fireblade over the winter so we will be competitive from the outset, and with our experienced team of people it’s a great combination. Both riders run very similar settings and that has enabled us to move forward faster during the pre-season tests and now this weekend can’t come soon enough. All three riders - Shakey and Kiyo in BSB and Jason in the Superstock class - are feeling positive and we are looking forward to Brands Hatch for sure.”
18-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Website Find Reply