ian lougher
Anonymous
Unregistered

ian lougher
In my opinion Ian Lougher is my man of the year even if the road racing finishes tomorrow, the man is a hero wherevever he races.
17-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ian lougher
Absolutely agree with you, pykey. He was my Man of the TT, and he completetly dominated the Southern100. On top of that, he is still the same nice, down to earth guy he always was. A true star.
17-07-2002, 10:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

but who will see him this weekend? you at kells, or me at aberdare? not often he misses aberdare, it's only a few miles from rhoose where he used to live.he he.
ade!
17-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

He'll be there at Aberdare
18-07-2002, 08:33 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

wuhoo. roll on friday dinner, i'm off. picnic somewhere in the brecon beacons, down to aberdare, park up, get changed, into the lion at the side of the park.
ade.
p.s. note new mail address, due to broadband cockup.
18-07-2002, 05:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian is by no means a brilliat rider how ever robert dunlop with all his injurys can still give him good competion when it come to the small 125 machinery,which on the whole is 60% rider 40% bike one off the most competive classes
19-07-2002, 01:54 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lougher a hero ?? He's only won some motorcycle races,something he enjoys doing.Hardly heroic.
19-07-2002, 03:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, Jim, challenge you to try.
19-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian Lougher and anyone else who races on road circuits are heroes to me, They may choose to do so for their love of the sport but this takes nothing away from the risks they take or the pleasure we get from watching them do it. the first over the line to the last are all heroes to me.

John

John
19-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jim Smith, go away and get a life, you sad, sad man.
19-07-2002, 09:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here, here, could not have put it better myself.
20-07-2002, 10:10 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Witch

Just think,if I was able to win road races,then I'd be a hero too...right up there with Ian Lougher,The War Dead from the First and Second World Wars etc.

Ian Lougher is getting paid to race,loves the thrill of it and does it entirely out of choice.
He's no hero,just a talented thrill seeker and good luck to him,I enjoy watching him race.

23-07-2002, 05:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Ian lougher
Attn Jim Smith.

I have ignored your comments up until now. My dictionary definition of a hero is:

A man who is idealized for having superior qualities in any field.

I believe the above definition applies to Ian Lougher. Ian is a master at road racing and is definately a hero in doing what he does and to the degree of expertise that he does it.

23-07-2002, 05:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Ian lougher
Mike

Oh....I'm soo grateful you have spoken to me.!!

Don't take yourself so seriously,other people have opinions as well.
23-07-2002, 05:39 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

just one question ,who are the youngsters coming through to challenge lougher,&co.CHEERS ROGER.
23-07-2002, 11:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Off the top of my head there are a number of riders around ten years younger than Ian with the ability to win TT's if they haven't already they include...

John McGuinness 27
David Jefferies 29
Martin Finnegan 21
Davy Morgan 26
Ryan Farquhar 26
Guy Martin 20
Richard Quayle 29
Ray Porter 26
Dan Stewart ??
Bruce Anstey 30
Richard Britton 31

If I thought about it, I could probably come up with a big list. Don't worry Roger, it's not as bad as ome people make out. There are some real good young riders still coming to the roads, however I think they'll have to wait a wee bit longer for Sir Ian of Dromore formerly of Roose to hang up his leathers!

24-07-2002, 12:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes Roger most of the lads Paul has mentioned are serving their apprenticship between the hedges and just remember their names for the future.
24-07-2002, 05:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Paul

Dont u think ure getting a bit ahead of yourself.
Davy Morgan,Dan Stewart,Martin Finnegan,Ray Porter and Guy Martin are a long way from winning TT's.The latter 2 seem the most promising but who even knows if Martin will race the TT.
I reckon Davy Morgan must be at least 28,he's been racing a fair while and he gets his best results on the short circuits,on the roads in ireland he's a long way behind the winner.
As for Ray Porter,hes only beating novices,its a big step up to racing with Archibald on the roads.
Finnegan looks the best prospect,although he hasn't went as well as one of thought after last years UGP perormances.

24-07-2002, 06:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jim

>> Dont u think ure getting a bit ahead of yourself.

No.

>> Davy Morgan,Dan Stewart,Martin Finnegan,Ray Porter and Guy Martin are a long way from winning TT's.

I don't disagree, but the question was where is the opposition for Ian Lougher coming from. It didn't say where for and which meetings. If it is only the TT, then perhaps the list wouldn't be so long, but Martin Finnegan, Davy Morgan and Guy Martin have all beaten Ian at various places in the past if not this year.

>>The latter 2 seem the most promising but who even knows if Martin will race the TT.

I don't but like I said the question wasn't about the TT. I am trying to find out more about Guy Martin at the moment, so perhaps I could answer that question sometime soon.

>>I reckon Davy Morgan must be at least 28,he's been racing a fair while and he gets his best results on the short circuits,on the roads in ireland he's a long way behind the winner.

I disagree. This year his road performances have been very good, and remember he is only around the same age Ian Lougher was when he won his first TT... in 1990. Remember that is what the question was about.

>>As for Ray Porter,hes only beating novices,its a big step up to racing with Archibald on the roads.

I agree. He has a big test in front of him next year and beyond, and perhaps the 'hysteria' might be a bit over the top so far. However he has proved he can learn circuits quickly, and he has made big progress in a short time.

>>Finnegan looks the best prospect,although he hasn't went as well as one of thought after last years UGP perormances.

Martin will surely be the best we have had for some time, and I know I'm biased, but I firmly belive it. To say he hasn't rode as well since last years Ulster might not be quite true. His TT performances where in my mind excellent (119mph from a standing start in the Senior etc) and his recent rides at Walderstown, Skerries and more importantly Kells have been very good.

I must say I am impressed that you noticed Martin at last years Ulster, because many didn't.

Don't forget the others I mentioned some of whom have TT wins to their name already. Ian is a great rider, a hero of mine, and a top bloke, but he is 38 and he can't go on forever. If you only peak at 38 then the likes of Martin who isn't 38 for another 17 years, should be around to entertain us for many years.

Paul

24-07-2002, 07:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Paul

Sorry about that.I agree with most of your comments now.
Interesting that Davy Morgan started out as a rider who wanted to go Supercup racing and wasn't interested in the roads.He's a good all rounder but he gets his best results on the shorts.
As for Finnegan hopefully he gets the bikes and advice to take him to the podium at the TT.
24-07-2002, 08:54 PM