last race before leg op
Anonymous
Unregistered

last race before leg op
On Saturday I took part in my second race meeting in my mini 'comeback'. This time it was at Silverstone, which is considerably flatter than the undulations of Oulton Park of two weeks ago. Having both wheels on the ground suited me much better and I was able to achieve two 15th place finishes (out of 25 and 24 finishers in my class).
I had taken the opportunity, the previous day of practising at the circuit, which really helped my confidence and allowed me to get acclimatised to the track. I began the day lapping in 1 minute 9 seconds and proceeded to lower my times to a best of 1.05.2. And was really looking forward to race day.
It began to drizzle as we started our 10 minute qualifying session on Saturday morning, which suited me as I was using intermediate tyres, whilst the front runners were slipping around on slick tyres. After approximately 7 minutes the session was stopped after a fallen riders bike had caught fire in the track, but I was confident that I had achieved a good qualifying position.
However, an announcement was made that another 10-minute qualifying session would commence in 10 minutes time. It was still drizzling, so as I sorted out a slipping clutch problem my friends quickly changed the wheels to full wet weather tyres. Unfortunately, just as they finished it stopped raining and the track began drying incredibly quickly. With no time to change back I elected to do one hard lap to attempt to better my previous time. I succeeded in improving by 5 seconds! Alas everyone else, on slick or intermediate tyres, made greater improvements and I ended up in 32nd place on the grid! D'oh!
In the first race, held in sunny conditions I made a good start, but my lack of race aggression, following my two-year layoff (and a fear of being knocked off and breaking my leg prematurely) cost me numerous places. I did manage to re-overtake two competitors later on in the race, but it was too little too late by then. I crossed the line 26th on the road and 15th in class (my Sound of Thunder class was combined with the Power Bike class). Although reasonably happy with my 1.04.2 fastest lap, I knew that I could ride better and wanted to do so in race 2.
As it turned out I did ride much much better, but only after making a dreadful start. So despite passing a lot more racers, I once again finished 15th in my class, but was far happier with my performance, which was a nice way to end with.
I would like to sincerely thank Andrew Brown for the load of his Aprilia race bike for both the Oulton Park and Silverstone meetings. I would also like to apologise for the state of his wet weather rear tyre after just one lap in the dry. I WILL be buying a replacement, when he gets his leg out of plaster and can catch me!
Next month I am due to have my right leg broken and set in an external fixator for 9-12 months, but not before I have been to the Isle of Man (on my road bike) for the Manx Grand Prix to cheer on my mates.
A final thanks to everyone who has supported; helped; resisted telling me not to race; come and watched me; at the two events recently. I hope we can resume play in 2004, when my leg should be back in full working order.
Rgds,
Scott

05-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: last race before leg op
What a great story----I and my colleagues here at BBHMG are very impressed by your recovery---The love of motorcycling works wonders doesn't it !!

Congratulations-----and we hope your next op is completely successful--Best Wishes
05-08-2002, 08:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: last race before leg op
Good luck, Scott. Wish I could be at the Manx to meet you and shake your hand. Have a great time there...see you when you're racing again.
06-08-2002, 01:30 PM