Snetterton 300 is go: Hopkins tops first ever BSB session
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Snetterton 300 is go: Hopkins tops first ever BSB session
[Image: bsblogo.jpg]

Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki's John Hopkins stormed to the first ever MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship session on the new 300 circuit this morning as the American maintained his position ahead of James Westmoreland who fired into second in the final minute of first free practice.

Hopkins clearly put his recent test at the track to good use, leading the session from the start and continuing to improve and was the only rider to dip into the 1m:49s lap time with less than ten minutes remaining.

In the closing minute of the session Motorpoint Yamaha's Westmoreland put in a stunning time to move up to second to relegate Jon Kirkham on the second Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki to third. He had been running second for the last 20 minutes of the session but he suffered a technical problem with 20 minutes remaining at Montreal and was unable to make further improvement.

Swan Yamaha 's Tommy Hill was fourth fastest, he moved up the order in the final ten minutes of the session to stay ahead of championship leader Shane 'Shakey' Byrne who had been running in the top three in the early stages of practice.

Michael Laverty on the second Swan Yamaha was sixth ahead of Alex Lowes who had been running in the top five before several improvements in the final minutes of the session. Josh Brookes dropped to eighth in the final stages whilst Gary Mason and Peter Hickman completed the top ten.

The second HM Plant Honda of Ryuichi Kiyonari was thirteenth after suffering a technical problem with just over 20 minutes remaining of the session despite a positive start for the defending champion.

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Snetterton, free practice one result:

1. John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) 1m:49.434s
2. James Westmoreland (Motorpoint Yamaha) +0.612s
3. Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +1.225s
4. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +1.278s
5. Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) +1.276s
6. Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) +1.417s
7. Alex Lowes (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +1.424s
8. Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki) +1.468s
9. Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +1.706s
10. Peter Hickman (Tyco Honda) 1.738s
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
01-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Website Find Reply