SIXTH STRAIGHT FRONT ROW FOR SIMONCELLI
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
SIXTH STRAIGHT FRONT ROW FOR SIMONCELLI
[Image: sancarlohondahdr.jpg]

“Super Sic” continued his fantastic qualifying form at Mugello this afternoon, beating his rivals and the weather to a front row position on tomorrow's starting grid. Even more impressive than his third fastest lap time was his race pace in a fully dry session this morning, when he led the field. Unfortunately mixed conditions and light rain this afternoon denied Marco the opportunity to complete the set-up work planned on his RC212V, which the team will now look to do in the morning warm-up. Hiroshi Aoyama continued to battle through the pain barrier following his practice crash at Assen just over a week ago and the Japanese rider was not totally comfortable with his condition or his feeling with the bike.

Marco Simoncelli (3rd 1’ 48” 485)

“I am on the front row and I am happy with that. Maybe I could have made a challenge for pole position but it had started to rain and I preferred to back off. I was actually improving my lap time about halfway through the session when I saw a few drops on my visor and with a lap time already in the bank I decided not to risk it. It was a tough session because you had to trust the grip even though there was water on your visor. Everything is pretty much sorted with the bike, my pace is good and tomorrow I will try to do the best I can. I hope we have a dry race and not conditions like today. I want to stay calm because everything is in place for us to do well so I just need to pay attention at critical points. They say it's hard to sleep here at Mugello but I like the atmosphere and to be honest it actually helps me sleep, even though I would really like to be out there with the fans.”

Hiroshi Aoyama (13th 1’ 50” 156 )

”It was a tricky session because of the conditions and unfortunately I wasn't able to find the right feeling with the bike, so hopefully we can do that in the morning and gain the confidence to push in the dry conditions. My physical condition is also a bit of a problem because I am still not fully recovered from the crash at Assen.”

Fausto Gresini

“A sixth consecutive front row is a very positive result. Today wasn't easy but Marco showed that he is in splendid form. Tomorrow won't be an easy race because I think there could be five riders with a chance of winning but Marco has a good pace so he'll be amongst them. 'Sic' is happy with his bike and the changes made to it despite a lack of dry track time and we will try to improve it further in the warm-up. Hiro is still hurting from the crash at Assen and doesn't quite have the right feel for the bike. We will try and give him some confidence ahead of the race.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
02-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Website Find Reply