J G WILLIAMS
Anonymous
Unregistered

J G WILLIAMS
I paused for a moment yesterday to remember it was 24 yrs yesterday that the late JG Williams lost his life at the UGP RIP.John.
13-08-2002, 06:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: J G WILLIAMS
Thanks for the reminder.
Good rider was John.
It also made me think of the Heron Suzuki days and how many riders had big accidents. We lost the great Tom heron and Pat Hennen had that awful crahs at Bishopscourt. Wasnt John Newbold with Heron too?
I will never, ever forget Tom Herron and Pat Hennen going down Cronk y Voddy side by side! Tom was pretending he had a riding whip! I think it was the same lap on which Pat crashed.
Getting back to John Williams, can it really be that long?
I have another memory of the great man to.
Remember the year when he couldnt get the bike started? A rag in the carb? He finally got going but with the red haze down! He crashed st the Creg. I was sat there and it was quite a crunch. However, on that occasion, he was badly winded and walked away.
A very determined ride, sadly missed.
Mike
15-08-2002, 11:14 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember flicking through my Dad's old "Motorcycle Racing" magazines and seeing a frame of photos of John's crash at the Creg in 1977 - he just disappeared in amongst all the bales!!
1978 does seem a long time ago but John is still remembered fondly by fans, young and old, and as one of the best.

15-08-2002, 02:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your DADs magazines!
Go on, make me feel old! ;-)
Yes, I remember the crash vividly.
I also remember that 1977 was the year that I walked the TT course for charity.
So many good TT memories.
Its my 60th birthday next week! I can't believe it. My first visit to the Island in 1967 seems like yesterday.
But getting back to John, yes many happy memories.

15-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Soory Mike, I was only 3 in 1977!!
16-08-2002, 08:50 AM