Kiyo prepared for Suzuka 8 Hour race
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Kiyo prepared for Suzuka 8 Hour race
Defending MCE Insurance British Superbike champion Ryuichi Kiyonari is preparing for the the prestigious Suzuka 8 Hour race this weekend ahead of the next BSB round at Brands Hatch on 5-7 August.

Kiyonari has been part of the winning team three times before and this year he switches to a factory Honda squad alongside Kohsuke Akiyoshi and Shin'ichi Itoh as he bids to extend his record-breaking success at the annual event.

Kiyo said:

"I am with a different team this year so that is the main difference for me, so we have different parts and I felt comfortable straight away when we tested. Everything on the Honda is only slightly different but they all make a bigger overall difference. It is also a new team and new mechanics compared to last year, so of course there is a different style to working but we worked well at the test. We also have three riders and I am the third rider with Kohsuke Akiyoshi and Shin'ichi Itoh and we all have our own style so it is a challenge to get the setting right for as all. It means though that we have more energy during the sessions in the race."

Kiyonari tested with F.C.C. TSR Honda ahead of the Oulton Park BSB round and with the Fireblade different to his title-winning HM Plant Honda the Japanese ace admits winning the event again is not going to be easy.

"We had three days of testing and Suzuka is a very hard and physical track so the sessions were very important," added Kiyo. "I was adjusting to the circuit and the different feel from the F.C.C. TSR Honda as it runs Bridgestone tyres rather than Pirelli that we do in BSB and the different suspension. I think there are a lot of rivals again this year; Yoshimura Suzuki Racing Team with Yukio Kagayama, Josh Walters and Nobuatsu Aoki and also the Musashi RT HARC-Pro team, who I rode for last season. There are also strong teams from lots of manufacturers so it won't be easy to win again.

"Suzuka is a very important race in Japan and requires a lot of concentration as it easy to make mistakes like Jonathan Rea did last year. There are back markers you have to watch for and you must be focused throughout the race. It is a difficult race and is very tough but when you finish it feels so good and rewarding. I will try again to win for sure for Honda."
25-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Website Find Reply