Burrows upbeat over Clough bid
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Burrows upbeat over Clough bid
[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

National road race front-runner John Burrows is optimistic of a return to the podium at tomorrow’s Mid-Antrim road races at Clough.

Burrows has been in solid form of late and although he was out of contention at last weekend’s Armoy meeting, the experienced Dungannon rider rates Clough as one of his favourite circuits and expects to be involved at the sharp end this weekend.

Ryan Farquhar is the man to beat on his KMR Kawasaki machines and although Michael and William Dunlop along with Michael Pearson have opted to sit out the event, Burrows says fans can still look forward to some close racing.

“It’s a pity for the club that William and Michael Dunlop won’t be riding this weekend and Michael especially is in some form at the moment,” Burrows told News Letter Sport.

“But Ryan Farquhar will be there and obviously myself, Adrian Archibald and Davy Morgan, so you could still see some good racing.

“I’ve been in decent form lately and hopefully I’ll have a chance of getting onto the podium - I’ll have a better chance with William and Michael not being there anyway!

“In saying that I was able to run with them at Athea but at Armoy last weekend I wasn’t able to run at the same pace. “I’ve never really gelled with the Armoy circuit before but that’s nothing against the event, because I’ve been a member from the first day and it’s a great race.

“I just don’t feel comfortable on some parts of the Armoy course and if I’m not comfortable I won’t push.

“But Clough is one of my favourite races and I tend to go well there,
” he added. “Ryan is going to be the man to beat but if I can get back onto the podium I’ll be happy.”

[Image: kellsgrid.jpg]
John Burrows (Suzuki) leads Michael Dunlop (Street Sweep Yamaha) and Derek Sheils (Honda) off the line in the Open race at Kells

Last year, Farquhar won five races including both Superbike events and the Supersport class, while Burrows finished on the podium three times in the Open, Supersport and Supertwins races.

The weather forecast looks ominous tomorrow but Burrows has no concerns about riding in the wet at Clough should the predicted inclement conditions materialise.

“I don’t mind riding around Clough in the wet or dry, because I’ve experience of racing there in both conditions,” said the Cookstown/BE Racing ace.

“It’s supposed to be dry for practice tomorrow and that’s very important because the riders and especially the newcomers need some good practice to familiarise themselves with the circuit again rather than just doing five compulsory laps behind a marshal.”
05-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Website Find Reply