Edwards and Crutchlow conclude Brno with productive Test day
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Edwards and Crutchlow conclude Brno with productive Test day
[Image: tech3hdr.jpg]

Colin Edwards and Cal Crutchlow completed a productive one day test at the Brno circuit following the GP, the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team riders working through a range of set up options in preparation for the final seven races of the 2011 World Championship.

After he finished in a hard fought eighth position in Sunday's Czech Republic MotoGP race, Texan Edwards had a busy day evaluating updates for Yamaha and Bridgestone.

Bridgestone tapped into all of Edwards' vast experience, the 37 year old putting in development laps on a new front tire and two new rear tire compounds that Bridgestone plan to make available in 2012 for the new 1000cc MotoGP class. Edwards also worked his way through a range of different electronics settings to supply Yamaha technicians with a wealth of precise feedback for the future. Despite being in testing mode, Edwards set a best time of 1’58.412 in his 44 lap stint, which was quicker than his best lap time in yesterday's 22 lap race.

With eight hours of track time available and conditions for most of the day bright and warm, Crutchlow dedicated his efforts on improving the set up of his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team YZR-M1 machine. The prime focus was improving Crutchlow's front-end confidence after the 25 year old has recently experienced a difficult period in his rookie campaign.

Without the time constraints of a Grand Prix weekend, Crutchlow also concentrated on further adapting his riding style to suit the 800cc YZR-M1 machine. He was able to focus on improving his braking technique, and the British rider was satisfied with his progress after completing 74 laps before heavy rain started to fall with 30 minutes of the session remaining. His best time of 1’57.591 was over 0.2s faster than his qualifying time.

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team is now preparing for another trip across the Atlantic Ocean for the Indianapolis round on August 28.

Colin Edwards:

“Today was just about getting some information for Bridgestone and Yamaha. The new tires I tested seemed to be a good step in the right direction, so they've got a lot of information and feedback to analyze and digest now. I'm happy with the direction Bridgestone is going with the rear tire. I tried two today, and both give you a lot more security. There's not so much risk involved in the first couple of laps, so credit to Bridgestone because they have listened to our comments this season and taken action to improve the tires and I'm really pleased. I also ran some new electronics for Yamaha and there were a couple of interesting options. I'm looking forward to going home now and relaxing ahead of another important race in Indianapolis. To have two home races in such a short space of time is awesome, so I'm looking forward to putting on a good show for the American fans.”

Cal Crutchlow:

“This morning we didn't change the bike and I just went out and did some laps and I was doing low 58s on old tires, so that makes me feel even more disappointed with the crash in the race yesterday because that pace would have put me on for a good result. The front-end could still be better but we've definitely been working in the right direction and we're trying to figure out how we can make more improvements. But this process isn't just about working on making the bike better. I know I've got to improve myself and adapt my style more and I've worked on that a lot today. At the moment some laps I'm braking much better and how I should be and others I go back to my normal style, but that is all part of the learning process and why this test has been so valuable. I still need to release the brake earlier to help me carry more corner speed, so I'll be working on improving more in that area in the future. My crew have worked really hard today after a long weekend, so credit to them for that. It was a good day and I can take some confidence to Indianapolis now.”
17-08-2011, 02:54 AM
Website Find Reply