KIRKHAM ON THE PACE AT CADWELL BSB
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
KIRKHAM ON THE PACE AT CADWELL BSB
[Image: suzukiplainhdr.jpg]

Samsung Crescent Racing's Jon Kirkham raced to two sixth place finishes today at the ninth round of the 2011 British Superbike Championship at Cadwell Park.

Significantly, Kirkham has regained his speed, finishing the second race just three-seconds behind the winner in what was a very tightly-fought race. His points haul lifted him to seventh in the Championship, just missing out on the top-six Title Fighters that were finalised today.

Jon Kirkham:

"I'm very happy after this weekend. Working with the two crew chiefs - Dale and Lez - meant we could really push hard on set-up; it seemed everything we did this weekend just made our Samsung Crescent Racing bike better and better.

"The first race today didn't go according to plan, though: I got a bad start and got stuck behind another rider for too long and when I did get by it was too late; the leaders had gone. But in the second race I was with the leaders from the start and I stayed with them. But for a couple of mistakes on the last lap I would have been just two-seconds behind at the finish.

"I'm incredibly energised by this weekend; it's great to back on a footing with the best in the Championship and I can't wait for the next round at Donington Park, which is as good as my local track. I think we can look to challenge for top-five finishes again."

Jack Valentine - Team Manager:

"I'm extremely pleased with JK's performance. We saw the true potential of JK this weekend; he's back to where he was earlier this year. He ran a tremendous race in that last one. His confidence is back and he's showing his ability. There are so many positives to take to Donington Park.

"The Title Fighters was also finalised this weekend. John Hopkins was already fixed into that and we're looking forward to his return at Donington Park. We were lucky this weekend as we didn't lose too many podium points to our rivals and for Hopper there's now only an 11-point difference between him and Tommy Hill, the Championship leader, which isn't very much at all with all the races that remain. Hopper knows and likes all the tracks that are to come, so we can look forward to a very competitive and exciting end to the season, both with Hopper and JK."

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship:

Race two result:

1 Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha)
2 Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) +1.700s
3 Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) +3.460s
4 Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +6.067s
5 Peter Hickman (Tyco Honda) +18.892s
6 Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing) +23.495s
7 Martin Jessopp (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +24.300s
8 Graeme Gowland (WFR Honda) +24.424s
9 Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +33.228s
10 Gary Mason (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +33.534s

Race three result:

1 Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha)
2 Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +0.632s
3 Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) +1.582s
4 Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) +2.013s
5 Peter Hickman (Tyco Honda) +2.664s
6 Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing) +3.622s
7 Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +8.039s
8 Martin Jessopp (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +17.537s
9 Graeme Gowland (WFR Honda) +18.386s
10 James Ellison (Sorrymate.com Honda) +20.465s

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings after Cadwell Park: (scores adjusted for the Title Fighters ahead of the Showdown):

1 Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 529
2 Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) 522
3 John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing) 518
4 Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) 510
5 Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 509
6 Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 508
7 Jon Kirkham ((Samsung Crescent Racing) 145

30-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Website Find Reply