Joan And Tom Ready To Breathe Mountain Air
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Joan And Tom Ready To Breathe Mountain Air
[Image: kawasakiwsbhdr.jpg]

The hilltop circuit of The Nürburgring hosts the tenth round of WSBK this season with both Joan Lascorz and Tom Sykes ready and willing to meet the latest points scoring opportunity at full pace.

Germany’s most evocative and famous circuit, located in the Eifel Mountains in the north west of the country, was the venue chosen to showcase the first public appearance of the latest Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R last year, before its competitive debut came along at the start of this season in Australia.

Both Lascorz and Sykes have had some positive results this year and each has proved to be competitive when set-up and tyre choices are in synch. Lascorz has scored two top fives in his rookie WSBK season and Sykes won the Superpole contest at Misano, then only just missed out on a podium finish by one place at the same venue.

Currently Lascorz is an upwardly mobile 11th in the championship standings while Tom is only 15 points from a top ten spot, in 14th place.

Third official Kawasaki rider Chris Vermeulen is still working on recovering full strength in his injured left elbow and will miss the German race. The 11th round of the championship takes place at Imola on 25 September, giving Chris more time to get back to fighting fitness.

Sykes is returning to action from injury, after a big fall in practice at Silverstone saw him badly beaten and suffering a chipped bone in his right ankle. He rates himself ready to race at the 5.137km long circuit in Germany, having had a month off from race action while working to get back to full fitness.

Joan took part in a British Superbike Championship round at former WSBK venue Brands Hatch, shortly after the Silverstone weekend, to keep himself race fit and get more valuable track time during his debut WSBK season. Without the pressure of trying to score championship points he learned more lessons he hopes to put into action at Nürburgring this weekend.

Kawasaki Pedercini Team riders Mark Aitchison and Roberto Rolfo will once more be out in race action this weekend as they look for season-best results again on their ever-improving Ninja ZX-10R machines.

Joan Lascorz:

“It was interesting to race at Brands Hatch in the BSB series recently but finding the right bike set-up was a little more difficult compared to some other circuits. It was not so easy to control on the gas but steering and going in the corners was very good. It was just a very intense circuit and I think it was good preparation for the Nürburgring race, which we come to this weekend. It gave me the chance to practice more on the bike and feel good for the German race. We will see how things go in Germany as this will be my first time there on a Superbike, but I think if we can have a good period of practice we can make good results.”

Tom Sykes:

“My ankle is getting stronger all the time, so I will be ready for Germany. The Nürburgring is definitely one of my favourite circuits - one of two or three I particularly like on the current calendar. It is quite unique in some ways. It goes up and down a lot, it is quite flowing and I like those sections where the corners roll into each other. When you get the 'Schumacher S' right-hander nailed it is very rewarding as a rider. Also, in the fifth gear right kink you can make up quite a bit of time. That part takes quite a bit of courage in some ways and the circuit in general lends itself to my style of riding a bit more than some. I hope I can pick up where we left off before my injury at Silverstone.”
31-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Website Find Reply