HM Plant Honda conclude opening practice sessions at Silverstone
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
HM Plant Honda conclude opening practice sessions at Silverstone
[Image: hondahdr.gif]

The HM Plant Honda team returned to Silverstone for the penultimate round of the British Superbike Championship today with Shane 'Shakey' Byrne and Ryuichi Kiyonari ending the opening practice sessions in fifth and eleventh respectively.

In the opening session Shakey ran fifth fastest with Kiyo, who celebrates his birthday today, running sixth as the HM Plant Honda team prepare for the next two races of the Showdown on Sunday. This afternoon Kiyo just got nudged outside the top ten in the closing stages whilst Shakey finished fifth, following a technical issue in the closing stages that left him unable to make further progress.

This weekend also marked the return of Jason O’Halloran from injury in the National Superstock 1000 Championship. He ran eighth fastest in free practice before ending the opening qualifying session in 18th.

Shakey said:

“I love this track from when I have raced here before, but it was a shock riding the HM Plant Honda Fireblade for the first time this weekend as it felt like riding a steel bar initially! That said though, the team have worked hard to turn things around and had it not been for a technical issue at the end of the second session I think we could have been faster. I know that the changes we have lined up for the morning will enable us to go faster tomorrow in qualifying.”

Kiyo said:

“Today we have completely changed the electronics system and I am already feeling more comfortable and I am feeling good about the changes we can make to go faster for qualifying tomorrow. It is harder though trying it during a race weekend than at a test because you have less time, but we have been able to improve. I am hoping for a good birthday present in terms of results this weekend; it won’t be easy, but already I feel happier than before and want to fight again.”

Jason said:

“It is good to be back on the HM Plant Honda Fireblade, but I am disappointed with how this afternoon’s session ended as I just couldn’t get into a rhythm after the two red flags. I had some problems with traffic too but I know with some clearer laps and more time on the HM Plant Honda Fireblade tomorrow that we can be higher up the order tomorrow for the second qualifying session.”

Team Manager Havier Beltran concluded:

“We need to have both Shakey and Kiyo on the first two rows for qualifying tomorrow so that they can fight for those important podiums on Sunday for HM Plant Honda. We have had a few issues today but we will put that behind us and look ahead to tomorrow. We know that the HM Plant Honda CBR1000 has strong potential for Sunday’s races and we are looking to have a good qualifying session tomorrow. I am really happy with Jason and how he has continued to make progress today. All we are hoping for him is to have a consistent weekend so that we can come away positive for the final round at Brands Hatch.”
24-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Website Find Reply