ENCOURAGING WEEKEND FOR SPLITLATH PAIR
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
ENCOURAGING WEEKEND FOR SPLITLATH PAIR
[Image: splitlathhdr.jpg]

SPLITLATH Motorsport riders Karl Harris and John Simpson had an encouraging weekend as the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship and Mirror.co.uk BSB-Evo Championship entered its penultimate round at Silverstone.

Both riders scored solid results in both of today’s races at the fast Arena circuit, with Harris grabbing two sevenths while Simpson took a 10th and a ninth.

After two weeks of extensive work, the bikes were running new and improved engines and both riders had to get to grips with the changes. Harris started Race One from 23rd overall and fifth Evo, and got enjoyed a steady race to cross the line seventh.

It was more of the same in Race Two, and the Sheffield rider was happy enough with the results at a track he knew would be difficult.

“This was always going to be a hard one for us as we just don’t have the power of the rest of them on those big straights,” he said. “We were able to catch them up in the corners but once we hit the big straights they were just gone.

“The bike is definitely better and the team have worked hard – it’s certainly heading in the right direction. This track was always going to be difficult but now it’s out of the way we can look forward to the last round where we should be much more competitive.”

Simpson’s day was a hectic one, which started with his first ever British Superbike race this afternoon. Getting a good start from 31st on the grid and 12th in Evo, he made up several spots to cross the line 10th in class.

Race Two was held just minutes after he won the Fuchs-Silkolene Supersport Cup Championship onboard his T3 Racing Triumph. Without a chance to spray the champagne as newly-crowned champ, he jumped onboard his Splitlath Aprilia RSV4 and rode a solid race to finish ninth.

“It’s been a great day and amazing for me to start my first ever Superbike race,” he said. “I think riding both has made me a better rider in many ways, and even though it was hard out there I loved it.

“The difference between the two championships is unreal, but I’ve really enjoyed it. Now I’ve got the Supersport championship done I can really look forward to the last round. I had thought I’d be quicker out there but I know we can make amends at Brands Hatch in a fortnight and I can’t wait to get back out there.”

Team Principal John Dimbylow was happy with the results.

“It has been an encouraging round and we’ve made some great progress with the bikes,” he said.

“It was a fabulous performance from John securing the Supersport Cup title and then running straight from the podium and jumping onto the Superbike. He had two strong, races and in that second race achieved his fastest times of the weekend.

“Karl also did a fantastic job with two solid results. He has also come a long way in helping with the development of our new bikes and everything is building up very well for a strong start to the new season.”

26-09-2011, 03:47 AM
Website Find Reply