Lascorz Equals Season Best At Final Round
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Lascorz Equals Season Best At Final Round
[Image: kawasakiwsbhdr.jpg]

Joan Lascorz posted an impressive fifth in race one at Portimao to equal his season best race result as Tom Sykes had a les pleasing end to his raceday at the final round of the year.

Lascorz had qualified well and started each race from the second row but had two less than perfect launches and was made to fight hard to take the third top five finish of his rookie season. Finishing eighth in race two he ended up top Kawasaki rider in the final points table, 11th, after showing some great consistency as he learned the secrets of the Ninja ZX-10R along the way.

For Sykes race one was difficult as an optimum setting for his riding style was not forthcoming at this tricky and undulating circuit, and he finished eighth in the opener. He had made a stirring recovery to that final position after being run wide and losing some places he had to claw back.

A technical issue put him out of race two, first causing him to lose places as he lost power and then be forced into pitlane to retire. Tom has experienced the highs of Superpole wins and even a race victory on the Ninja ZX-10R in Germany this year and he finishes the season 13th in the championship.

Mark Aitchison (Kawasaki Pedercini Team) had a tough weekend after a fall in practice, and finished 17th then 20th in the races. He rounded out his season in 19th place, one place behind his team-mate Roberto Rolfo, who missed this event through injury. His replacement, Santiago Barragan, was 20th and then a retiree today.

Joan Lascorz:

“In race one I lost a lot of rear grip and it was difficult at times. In the last lap Biaggi came past me on the gas. But a top five like in Donington and in Aragon, which is good. In race two we had the same tyre choice but made a little change in suspension set-up. Another not so good start and I think on the first lap I was 12th. Near the end of the race I was a little faster but just not enough to finish any higher.”

Tom Sykes:

"Race one was a big learning session and we struggled a bit all weekend with front end feel. We are definitely not where I need to be with the feeling of the bike. Badovini passed me in turn one and put me wide and onto the dirty bit of the track, so I lost places. It was unfortunate but we had a great start and got up to fifth position at one time. I was consistent at the end of the race and every lap gives us information. We all know where we need to be and the team has a very good understanding of what I need from the bike. I finished eighth when I was back in 11th and it is quite promising. Race two was unlucky for us but that’s racing sometimes.”

16-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Website Find Reply