SIMONCELLI LOOKING TO FINISH SEASON IN STYLE
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
SIMONCELLI LOOKING TO FINISH SEASON IN STYLE
[Image: sancarlohondahdr.jpg]

Following his sensational second place behind 2011 MotoGP World Champion Casey Stoner at Phillip Island Marco Simoncelli a.k.a. “Super Sic” cannot wait to tackle the remaining two rounds of the season. The Team San Carlo Honda Gresini rider has travelled from Australia to Malaysia in high spirits and with the podium in his thoughts again at Sepang, a circuit where he impressed during preseason testing last winter. Simoncelli knows that the sky is the limit now and he is refusing to rule out the possibility of a first ever MotoGP win before the season is out. Hiroshi Aoyama endured more bad luck in Australia but he is determined to sign off from MotoGP in style over the remaining two races. At Phillip Island he was unable to back up his impressive free practice pace in qualifying or in the race due to a pair of unfortunate crashes. However, having won at Sepang twice before in the 250cc class and following on from an impressive first MotoGP appearance there last year he is optimistic of turning his fortunes around.

[Image: sepangarialshot.jpg]

Marco Simoncelli

“I left Phillip Island, a circuit and place I really love, feeling very happy. I had another good Grand Prix and finished second after another wonderful battle with Dovizioso, which gave me a lot of satisfaction. I had been second for the whole race so to see Andrea standing on the second step of the podium would have been hard to take. I celebrated it with my team in Pino’s restaurant with the lovely owner Rosa, a Phillip Island legend, but I already had my mind on Malaysia. I never managed to win at Sepang in 250 but I was on the podium there for my last two seasons in the intermediate class and in testing there last winter I was really on the pace, so I am sure I can do a good job this weekend. There is no reason why we can't be fighting for the podium and it would be great to be up there again. The top step would be even better of course and that is what we will be striving for in the Malaysian Grand Prix.”

Hiroshi Aoyama

“The weekend in Australia didn't start badly and after the first couple of sessions I was looking forward to a positive Grand Prix at a place where the atmosphere is always really special. Unfortunately the weather turned and it caused me a few problems, including a heavy crash on Saturday which ended my session early and then again on Sunday when I was caught out by the rain. It was a shame because I had promised myself I would make the most of my last few races in MotoGP and unfortunately the first of the three ended in disaster. Anyway, now we go to Sepang, where I won twice in 250 and finished seventh in MotoGP last year. I like the track and I always get a good feeling there from the place and from the people.”

Fausto Gresini

“If there were still any doubts about the potential of Marco Simoncelli then they were surely removed in Australia. 'Sic' performed at a very high level and was consistent throughout the race, producing the necessary determination at just the right time to secure the position he deserved. His three crashes in practice did not affect him at all and he managed the race wisely, backing off when he had too and then attacking decisively to make sure of the position he had held for the majority of the race. Now the limits are endless at Sepang, where he was extremely fast in testing and where he can surely be a contender again. I was disappointed for Hiro, who made a strong start to the weekend but saw it end badly. Hiro will no longer be with us in 2012 but we want to give him maximum support in his remaining two MotoGP races. Sepang is a circuit he likes and he will have the opportunity to demonstrate that.”

18-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Website Find Reply