The Malaysian MotoGP cancelled after a serious incident involving Simoncelli
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
The Malaysian MotoGP cancelled after a serious incident involving Simoncelli
[Image: motogplogo.gif]

Italian Marco Simoncelli suffered what appeared a serious injury after he lost control of his bike on the second lap and appeared to be hit by Colin Edwards and then Valentino Rossi as he slid across the track.

The 24-year-old's helmet came off in the collision and he was taken to the medical centre.

Newly-crowned champion Casey Stoner admitted watching the accident made him worried for Simoncelli.

"As soon as I saw the footage it just makes you sick inside," the Australian told BBC2.

"Whenever the helmet comes off that's not a good sign."

Tony Elias, Moto2 world champion, was praying the injuries to Simoncelli were not serious.

"We just hope Marco is ok - that's my wish," he said.

The organisers confirmed the race was cancelled, having halted it immediately after the incident.

A bulletin from the organisers said: "Race cancelled as the medical centre staff is focusing on treating Marco Simoncelli and track action cannot be resumed in the current circumstances."

(This post was last modified: 24-10-2011, 11:20 AM by Malcolm.)
23-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE:The Malaysian MotoGP cancelled after a serious incident with Simoncelli
Simoncelli dies from injuries suffered in Malaysian GP crash

[Image: simoncelliheadshot2.jpg]

Marco Simoncelli has died from the injuries he sustained in a crash on the second lap of the Malaysian Grand Prix. He was 24.

Simoncelli was fighting for fourth with Alvaro Bautista when he lost the front of his bike and slid across the circuit, into the path of Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi, both of whom appeared to hit the Honda.

Simoncelli lay stricken on the track after the crash, his helmet having come off during the incident.

He was taken by ambulance to the circuit's medical centre, but at 4.56 it was announced he had succumbed to his injuries.

Simoncelli had established himself as one of the most exciting new stars in MotoGP this season, his second year at the top level with the Gresini Honda team.

A former European 125cc champion, Simoncelli was a race winner and frontrunner during three years in world championship 125cc racing before coming to the 250cc series in 2006.

He spent four seasons with the Gilera team, with the breakthrough coming in 2008 when he not only became a winner for the first time, but charged to the title, beating Alvaro Bautista.

Simoncelli stayed on in 250cc to defend his title in 2009, although he narrowly lost the crown to future Gresini MotoGP team-mate Hiroshi Aoyama after an early-season injury left him playing catch-up.

He secured a MotoGP seat with Gresini for 2010 and became ever more competitive as his rookie season went on.

That earned him a factory specification Honda this season, and he took full advantage to get among the frontrunners from the outset.

Pole positions at Catalunya and Assen came amid a run of six straight front row starts, although incidents in races meant he could not deliver the results his speed promised - and led to rows with other riders.

But Simoncelli calmed his style as the season progressed, finally taking his maiden MotoGP podium at Brno, and achieving a career-best second in Australia just a week ago. He had also secured works Honda equipment again with Gresini next season, ensuring he would have started 2012 as a potential MotoGP winner.

(This post was last modified: 24-10-2011, 11:20 AM by Malcolm.)
23-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: The Malaysian MotoGP has been cancelled after a serious incident involving Simoncelli
[Image: simoncelliheadshot.jpg]

Another sad loss to the sport.

A young up and coming talent who may have gone on to much greater achievements. This sport can be so cruel at times.

R.I.P Marco you will be missed.

Sincerest condolences to his family, friends and team-mates who will be suffering terribly at this time.

(This post was last modified: 23-10-2011, 11:21 AM by Malcolm.)
23-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

RE: The Malaysian MotoGP has been cancelled after a serious incident involving Simoncelli
[Image: simoncelliheadshot3.jpg]

BSB pays tribute to MotoGP rider Simoncelli

Following the tragic death of Marco Simoncelli during the opening laps of the Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix at Sepang International circuit today (Sunday), BSB wishes to offer its sympathies and condolences to his family, team, and the entire paddock for their loss. They will all be in our thoughts during this difficult time.

BSB Series and Race Director Stuart Higgs was officiating at both the Philip Island and Sepang rounds as an FIM Steward, he said: "Today the motorcycle racing world has been robbed of one of it's brightest stars. Just last weekend I saw him secure his best ever result on a MotoGP bike and on behalf of BSB I offer our condolences to the entire MotoGP community at this very sad time."

BSB riders and team managers offered their thoughts via social networking sites:

Tommy Hill: "So so sad! Absolutely terrible and heart breaking when this happens in our sport! All my regards to MS family and close friends"

Shaun Muir: "I share the thoughts of millions of race fans. So cruel so sad. Paddocks around the world mourn. RIP Marco."

Shakey Byrne: "RIP #58, Marco Simoncelli, legend..."

John Hopkins: "God Speed #58 Simoncelli .... Your fighting spirit will live on forever !!!"

John Laverty: "What a loss to racing, RIP Simoncelli your good times will never be forgotten."

Simon Andrews: "Loved his aggression as a rider! Hate whats happened and so sad! RIP to another great rider this year #58 - I say to all my friends life is too short and this is why"

Alex Lowes: "RIP #58 my thoughts are with all his family and friends........Legend"

Peter Hickman: "RIP Marco 58, thoughts are with your family and friends"

Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
23-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: simoncelliheadshot4.jpg]

MotoGP community pay tribute to Marco Simoncelli

Through various press releases, interviews and media outlets, fellow and former MotoGP riders and teams expressed their shock and sorrow at the tragic death of the charismatic Italian rider at the Malaysian GP on Sunday. Here are some of their statements.

Factory Yamaha’s Jorge Lorenzo, who was not present at the Malaysian GP following a surgery on his finger, published: "I don’t know what to say on a day like today ... Only that you will be missed - rest in peace Marco."

Lorenzo’s team mate, Ben Spies, shared: "Super Sic rest easy..."

Nicky Hayden posted: "Sometimes life just don't make sense... RIP #58 you were a star on & off track we all going to miss you."

Cal Crutchlow’s post: "RIP Marco Simoncelli! A great rider and all round nice guy. My thoughts are with all his family & friends. I will never forget today... #58"

Former full time and two time wild card entry this year, John Hopkins, said: "God Speed #58 Simoncelli... Your fighting spirit will live on forever!"

Two time replacement rider this year, Damian Cudlin, shared via Titter: “Terrible news. Marco’s gone. Sad day for motor racing and all the llives he touched along the way. Won’t forget you, mate.”

Kenny Roberts and his family sent the following sentiment: "The entire Roberts Family is deeply sadden by the news about Marco. We wish to send our condolences to his family, friends, fans and MotoGP. We will never forget him!"

Jeff Belskus, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation President and Chief Executive Officer, shared: "We are deeply saddened at the passing of Marco Simoncelli. He was one of the most charismatic figures in the World Championship and had a fantastic future ahead of him in MotoGP.”

“Marco was one of the most popular riders at the MotoGP event at Indianapolis, as his talent on the motorcycle and his ability to connect with fans both were very special. We extend our sincere sympathies to his family, team and fans."

Fellow MotoGP rider Héctor Barberá said: "I am in shock. We are bike riders and we are aware that there are risks involved with what we do, but we also know that every day our safety is looked after more and more by the organisers. These past few years have seen a huge amount of work done to try and make our job even safer. Despite this, there are moments in which misfortune can lead to tragedy -and we saw this happen today with Marco Simoncelli.”

“Today is another tough day for motorcycle racing. We have lost a great companion, and I will remember Marco as a great rival with whom had some fantastic battles in the past."

Team owner Jorge 'Aspar' Martínez, shared: "What has happened today is immensely sad. It should be said that every Friday before a Grand Prix, the Safety Commission convenes at 5pm with all the MotoGP riders to evaluate safety issues at all Grand Prix circuits. Marco lost the front end and attempted to save the crash, but unfortunately the inertia of the bike took him onto the inside of the corner just when Edwards and Valentino were passing. There was nothing that they could do to avoid him. Today is a tremendously sad day for the entire paddock and for those who love motorcycle racing."

Toni Elías tearfully stated in an interview: “There is nothing I can say…Marco was a unique person – but above all, he was a good guy.”

Karel Abraham and his team released a statement: "The Cardion AB Motoracing team extends its deepest condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues of Marco Simoncelli, who succumbed to injuries he received in the race at the Sepang International Circuit."

Many of Marco’s fellow MotoGP riders posted statements over Twitter remembering their fallen competitor.

Long time friend Valentino Rossi refrained from earlier interviews, to later publish via his Twitter account: "Sic for me was like a youngest brother. So strong on track and so sweet in the normal life. I will miss him a lot."

24-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Website Find Reply