DUNLOPS RETRACE DAD’S FOOTSTEPS
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
DUNLOPS RETRACE DAD’S FOOTSTEPS
[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

More than two decades after Ulster road racing hero Robert Dunlop celebrated a prized victory at the Macau Grand Prix, his two sons are poised to make their debut at the infamous street course in the Far East.

Ballymoney legend Dunlop defeated old rival Phillip McCallen and Steve Hislop at Macau in 1989 to claim one of the most satisfying victories of his career.

The triumph was of particular significance given that the prestigious event was one of few that had not previously be conquered by his elder brother and Isle of Man TT master Joey.

Robert’s former mechanic and mentor, Liam Beckett, said his success at the international race meeting in the former Portuguese colony was one of his “greatest ever achievements.”

“When Robert won that trophy at Macau it meant so much to him because it was one of very few trophies that didn’t already have Joey’s name on it,” Beckett said.

“Robert enjoyed racing at Macau and he was very proud when he won that year.

“I was with him and I knew he wanted that win badly. When Robert was ‘in the zone’ as I call it, then he usually went out and did the business and he certainly did it that year.”

Sadly, Robert was tragically killed at the North West 200 in 2008 during practice and his two sons unfortunately won’t have him by their side as they tackle the notoriously dangerous Guia circuit, which is lined with steel crash barriers, for the first time this week.

Both William and Michael have flown to Macau as they prepared for the first practice session on Thursday, which is followed by final qualifying on Friday and the race itself on Saturday, which is scheduled for 15 laps.

William (25) told the News Letter that his dad never wished for the pair to follow in his footsteps by racing at Macau, a circuit that leaves absolutely no margin for error and one that is regarded by the riders as more dangerous even than the daunting 37.73-mile Mountain Course on the Isle of Man.

“My dad was never keen on us racing at Macau to be honest but it’s one of those things – the experience will be good,” William said.

“A crash is a crash on the roads no matter where it happens, but I’m not going over there to race hard, I’m going to enjoy the whole thing.

“It’s an invitation-only race and the organisers are very choosy about who they ask to come and race, so if you don’t treat the place with respect you won’t get to race and you won’t be asked back.

“It’s happened before when they’ve told riders they won’t be asked back,”
he added.

“I’m looking forward to getting away for a while and also seeing what it’s all about over there because I’ve heard so much about it.”

William will ride Wilson Craig’s 1000cc Honda Superbike at Macau, with 22-year-old Michael due to ride a Kawasaki for Paul Bird.

In the three years since the death of their father, the duo have established themselves as major contenders at the main international road races as well as the national events.

Michael has two victories at the Isle of Man TT to his name and in August notched a sensational hat-trick at the Ulster Grand Prix at Dundrod, where he twice out-braked William at the Lindsay Hairpin on the final lap of the Supersport races to snatch victory.

William is also a winner at international level having tasted victory in the 600cc class at the ‘Prix’ in 2009 and standing on the top step at the North West 200 in the 125cc and 250cc races.

And he is finally getting into his stride at the TT, where he will be among the favourites in the Supersport races in particular next June.

At Macau, William won’t try and run before he can walk, although Michael – who is less patient when it comes to his quest for success – is going there with the intention of winning the race at his first attempt.

Last week, Michael tested a Sidecar outfit at Jurby on the Isle of Man as he contemplates making his debut in the ‘chairs’ races at the TT in 2012, but right now his only focus is on adding his name the coveted trophy that his dad hoisted aloft more than two decades ago.

“I only thinking about Macau and I want to go and try and win it,” he said.

“I can worry about everything else once I get back.

“You don’t get a lot of practice time and the heat could be a problem, though I’m looking forward to seeing how I cope with that when I’m over there because I’ve never raced in conditions like that before.”

Michael was counting on riding a full factory Kawasaki ZX-10 for Bird this weekend but the works specials were allocated to Manx rider Conor Cummins and American ace Jeremy Toye.

“I assumed I was getting one of the factory bikes but they’ve gone to other riders, so I’ll have to make do with what I get, but it won’t be a works bike,” he said.

Beckett, who remains a close family friend, feels the tight confines of the Macau course is ideally suited to the Dunlop boys and expects an impressive performance from both on Saturday.

“It will be a fantastic experience for William and Michael because it really is a fabulous trip and I have no doubt both boys will excel at Macau,” he said.

“There is absolutely no margin for error over there because the course is lined with steel crash barriers and that suits the real road men, because they are used to riding within their limits.”

Scottish rider Stuart Easton has won the Macau Grand Prix for the past three years but misses out this time as he recovers from his horrific North West 200 crash.

John McGuinness will ride for the Roadhouse SMT Honda team alongside Crumlin’s Stephen Thompson, although McGuinness’s Honda TT Legends team-mate Keith Amor is not entered.

Lincolnshire’s Gary Johnson is an interesting entry on the Relentless TAS Suzuki at Macau, opening up the possibility of further involvement with the team next season on the roads with Guy Martin.

Ian Hutchinson is due to make his racing comeback on the Swan Yamaha, while Michael Rutter – who is tied with ex-GP star Ron Haslam on six wins at Macau – is chasing a record seventh triumph on his Team of Paris Ducati when he’ll be joined by his BSB team-mate Martin Jessopp.

A sensational line-up is completed by Kiwi Bruce Anstey on Clive Padgett’s Honda CBR1000-RR.

14-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Website Find Reply