Macau - Trimby leaving for good ?
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Macau - Trimby leaving for good ?
[Image: trimby1.jpg]

The man who puts together the whole overseas bike entry for the Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix, Mike Trimby, has called it quits after 34 years in charge, a move that came as a surprise and left a cloud of uncertainty hanging over the future of the race.

A letter that he allegedly send to riders cites “problems with a certain member of the Macau Grand Prix organisation who clearly does not like me and goes to great lengths to cause trouble for me,” reported Motor Cycle News.

According to the report, Trimby refers to an accusation made against him of profiting from sponsorship arrangements which he says he has nothing to do with.

But yesterday Trimby issued a clarification saying that the Macau Grand Prix Organisation Committee (MGPOC) “has not ‘cancelled’ my contract”. “I have never had a contract with MGPOC that covered more than one event.”

Usually, these are one-year contracts that are signed after the completion of each event.

“I have simply informed them that I do not wish to be considered for involvement after 2011,” Trimby said in his clarification, adding “This is for various reasons, not least because I have increased responsibilities in my role as CEO of IRTA (International Road Racing Teams Association), involving me in 18 World Championship Grand Prix events each year.”

Riders have expressed their concern and stressed that Trimby is crucial to the Macau GP, with many of them, led by record-holder Michael Rutter, hinting that this might have been their last race in the Guia Circuit.

“I’ve been here for 18 years, Trimby has always been here and is part of what Macau is about. With him going away, this will change a lot,” Rutter said.

“I love the place, I would love to come back but it might not even be a motorcycle race [next year]. Mike has put so much effort into it and I can’t see anyone else putting that much work into it,” he added.

Hinting that he may not be back next year, as well as the rest of the UK contingent, Rutter went on to say: “We have to wait and see what happens.”

“We would like to see him [Trimby] come back next year,” said John McGuinness, who was crowned champion here ten years ago.
“We want this event to continue and feel Mike is important for that to happen.”

Ian Hutchinson, who made a remarkable return to competition after injury by taking third yesterday, is also expecting to see what happens next. “Mike has been around for so many years, and the race has always been very professional. I just want to see what happens,” he said.

But Trimby has made up his mind. “Whilst I am sincerely touched by the statements made by some teams and riders I do not propose to change my mind and offer my services in the future,” he said in yesterday’s statement.

Commenting on the subject, Macau Grand Prix committee co-ordinator João Manuel Costa Antunes said he had no problems with Trimby, but added that “no one is irreplaceable”.

“The Motorcycle Grand Prix is an important part of the event, it has built up its name and we’ll continue to stage the race,” Costa Antunes said quoted by TDM.

The CEO of IRTA has been involved with the Macau Grand Prix since 1978 when he raced in the event and finished on the podium behind Sadeo Asami and Steve Parrish.

In 1983, the Macau Government took direct control of arranging the competitors for the event and offered Trimby a contract to put together the whole overseas bike entry. This arrangement has stood in place ever since, leading to Trimby’s 34th year in the role.

“I am extremely proud that in the 34 years that I have been involved in the event I have made a small contribution to the status it now enjoys as one of the most important street circuit races in the world,” said Trimby.

Macau has become one of the big four international road races in the world alongside the Isle of Man TT, North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix. But after a successful 45th edition, the question is: will there be a Motorcycle Grand Prix next year?

22-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Website Find Reply