Laverty plans BSB title tilt after sealing Honda move
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Laverty plans BSB title tilt after sealing Honda move
[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]

Toome rider Michael Laverty believes his move to the official HM Plant Honda UK team can power him to a first British Superbike title next season.

Laverty finished fourth in the series with three wins last season for Swan Yamaha and he now makes the switch, convinced the Honda Fireblade will give him a title-winning edge and a repeat of his British Supersport championship in BSB.

The 20th anniversary season of the iconic Fireblade provides an added incentive for the 30-year-old brother of top riders Eugene and John.

“It's an exciting prospect for me to be joining Honda for 2012,” said Michael.

“It was unexpected and it is always a difficult decision to move teams, especially as we had such a good season this year. I was fortunate to have options and I have gone from one championship winning team to another. Everyone knows that Honda have the history in BSB and we are really looking forward now to next season. I feel the Honda chassis and engine is so strong and delivers useable power which will be so important next year. Next season for sure is going to be interesting and I think we start in a great position. The calibre of Honda and the Fireblade is high and we know we have big potential to fight for the title.”

Laverty will be joined in BSB by Derby-based Jon Kirkham, the 2010 British Superstock Champion and Superbike race winner in 2011. TT winner Gary Johnson, from Grimsby and Lincolnshire-based Aussie Jason O’Halloran, returning from crash injuries, will carry Honda's hopes in the Superstock series.

Team manager Havier Beltran said:

“We are very happy to announce these four riders who bring a great mix of different talents and personalities to the team. All four have great natural racing ability and proven credentials, but all of them also very much have the potential to go even further and have things they want to prove in their respective championships.”

23-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Website Find Reply