Speed king Rutter revs up for awards
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Speed king Rutter revs up for awards
[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]

British Superbike rider and North West 200 folk hero Michael Rutter has confirmed that he will make a flying visit to Belfast for the prestigious Adelaide Motorcycle Awards.

The annual gala event, now in its eighth year, will be staged at the Ramada Plaza Hotel at Shaw's Bridge on January 20.

The 39-year-old from the English Midlands joins a star-studded line-up on the guest list for the biggest night of the biking season. A dozen awards are up for grabs including the coveted Enkalon Irish Motorcyclist of the Year award presented in association with title sponsor Adelaide Insurance.

Rutter became the most successful rider in Macau Grand Prix history last weekend when he clinched a seventh victory on the Far Eastern street circuit.

He told Telegraph Sport last night on his return:

“I am thrilled to be returning to Belfast for one of the biggest and best occasions for our sport. Nowhere in the world do road racers’ achievements get recognised more than in Northern Ireland. I can’t wait to catch up with many of my supporters and old friends”

The 13 time North West 200 winner, and first man to break the 200mph barrier in the race, will also be a nominee for the new look IFS Global Logistics Road Racer of the Year, eligible to any rider from home or abroad who has competed in one or more of the International Races.

[Image: rutterhead.jpg]

Rutter added:

“Hopefully my win at Macau, when I broke the great Ron Haslam’s long standing record, will put me in the running, but I know I face some stiff competition from the likes of TT winners John McGuinness, Gary Johnson, Bruce Anstey, and Michael Dunlop as well as other fantastic Irish riders like Ryan Farquhar and William Dunlop.”

Top Scottish motorcyclists Stuart Easton and Keith Amor will also be making special appearances at the awards. Easton, a former British Champion, suffered a catalogue of injuries in a horrific practice day crash at this year’s NW200, and is making a steady recovery.

Amor, recovering after recent surgery on both shoulders, will fly in from his new home in Cyprus for the event.

The former Ulster Grand Prix winner said:

“I am pretty sore after my operation but will be fit to fly to Belfast in the New Year for what I consider to be the best night for our sport in the UK”

A host of top Irish riders will also be in attendance, battling it out for the main prize. Last year’s winner and World Superbike star Eugene Laverty, British Supersport Champion Alastair Seeley, Ulster Grand Prix hat-trick winner Michael Dunlop, National Superstock winner Keith Farmer and Irish Superbike Champion Kirk Jamison are among the front runners in the public voting, which is still open.

Already thousands of bike fans have cast their vote to decide who will be the winner of the famous Joey Dunlop trophy.

Details of how to vote can be found on the Adelaide website www.adelaideinsurance.com

or to purchase tickets, price £90, email tickets@adelaidemotorcycleawards.com

25-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Website Find Reply