DUNLOP REFLECTS ON MACAU DEBUT
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
DUNLOP REFLECTS ON MACAU DEBUT
[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

Top Ulster road racer William Dunlop was always on the back foot on his debut at the Macau Grand Prix last weekend after inclement weather hampered qualifying.

Dunlop and his brother Michael both competed in the famous race in China for the first time, finishing 13th and 12th respectively.

But the pair had to feel their way around the unforgiving Armco barrier-lined Guia street circuit after the amount of track time available was cut due to heavy rain.

William, who was riding Wilson Craig’s 1000cc Honda Superbike and who will remain in Craig’s camp for 2012, made an uncharacteristic mistake in free practice, crashing out at Fisherman’s when tailing Bruce Anstey on Clive Padgett’s Honda.

Dunlop escaped unhurt but admitted afterwards that even an apparently minor accident could have severe consequences at Macau.

[Image: wdunlopmacau2.jpg]

“It’s the kind of place where you could fall off at 50mph and end up seriously hurt or worse,” the 25-year-old told News Letter Sport last night.

“Bruce Anstey came past me and I though I’d hang on to him and get a bit of a tow, but I went into the corner too fast and had to brake hard. I lost the front end of the bike and managed to save it, but I was still carrying too much speed for the corner so I just laid the bike down on its side,” he added.

“I was lucky because I didn’t slide into the barrier, but even a small crash at Macau could leave you badly hurt.”

Dunlop has not ruled out a return to the Far East to compete at Macau in the future, even though he admits the event failed to capture his imagination.

“I could take it or leave it,” he said.

“It’s not that bad but it’s a lot of money to travel over there when you could be spending it doing something else here. I’m not saying I won’t go back, but it’s not really my scene if I’m honest. It was good to get a run on Wilson’s Superbike again and there bike hasn’t changed since I last rode it. It only needs a few tweaks here and there for next year,” added Dunlop.

“I’ll be riding the new 2012 Honda Fireblade in the Superstock class next season, but I’m not sure if we’re getting the new Superbike model - maybe we’ll just stick with the old bike. It was one of the fastest bikes through the speed trap at Macau and I’ve always said how much I enjoy riding it. I’ll be able to hit the ground running next year for a change and I’m really looking forward to another season with Wilson. I know the team now and I’m comfortable on the bikes, so come the North West 200 we should be more than ready.

26-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Website Find Reply