Scholtz steps up to World Supersport with PTR
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Scholtz steps up to World Supersport with PTR
[Image: ptrhdr.jpg]

Young South African talent Mathew Scholtz will step up to a full-time seat in the World Supersport Championship in 2012 in the front running PTR Honda team. Mathew, 19, from Durban, made his mark on international racing in 2008 when he was selected to contest the Red Bull Rookies MotoGP Series, taking a win and three podiums that year. He then moved on to racing in the Spanish and German 125cc Championships as well as Moto2 with impressive results.

He joins British operated PTR Honda, a front running team in the World Supersport Championship that has finished runner-up twice in 2009 and 2010 and enjoyed eight podiums out of 12 races in 2011. PTR Honda is testing on 19th and 20th January at Almeria in Spain before travelling to Australia in February for a test at Phillip Island before the opening round of the Championship at the same circuit on 26th February.

PTR has a reputation for bringing out the best in young riders and this is a dream come true for me," declared Scholtz. "Just look at what Eugene Laverty achieved and how after one season Sam Lowes is one of the favourites for the 2012 Championship. I know with PTR that I will have the bike, team and structure to show exactly what I am capable of and I am ready to make this step up. It will not be easy but I will have every opportunity and am determined to be a challenger in the World Supersport Championship."

[Image: mathewscholtz1.jpg]

Simon Buckmaster, PTR Honda Team Manager:

"Mathew has good experience in Europe and already knows some of the tracks. Although only 19 he has experience at a high level so shouldn't be influenced by the pressure of competing in a World Championship. He has the backing of a team that will do whatever it takes to help him succeed. He has the potential and together we are going to maximise it."

13-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Website Find Reply