Champion Hill to defend MCE Insurance BSB title in 2012
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Champion Hill to defend MCE Insurance BSB title in 2012
[Image: swanyamahahdr.gif]

Reigning MCE Insurance British Superbike champion Tommy Hill will make his much-anticipated return in 2012 to defend his title after confirming he will be back on the grid with the Swan Yamaha team as he becomes the first British rider to defend a title in six years.

Hill claimed his maiden crown in sensational style in the final race of the 2011 season at Brands Hatch in October. The Lingfield ace defeated rival John Hopkins by just 0.006 seconds following a last lap battle for supremacy before celebrating the victory with the fans trackside. Hill's return makes him the first British BSB champion to defend the number one plate since John Reynolds at the start of the 2005 season and he is now determined to become the third rider in history to win consecutive BSB titles.

[Image: tommyhillswan2012promo.jpg]

Hill said:

"At the end of last season after winning the title I was speaking to different teams and looking at the different championships, but I knew I needed to have the complete package for me and also my personal sponsors. I have a lot of fans in BSB and I think having a British champion trying to hold on to the number one plate is something to get excited about and I certainly am! I really wanted to stay with Yamaha and build on the results and our relationship. The Swan Yamaha team have won one BSB title but now we are looking at how we can improve to try and do it again. The consistency with the team is very important and they have already started looking at what we can do to move forward again.

"The changes to the rules don't worry me as through most of my career I haven't used traction control. I think it will now come down more to rider input and also working as a team to get the chassis set up right and I think it will narrow down the issues during a weekend. I know there has already been some hard work behind the scenes at the workshop and as a rider that really gives me confidence before we even begin testing.

"I think going into next season there is probably less pressure on me than there was last year despite being the champion. If anyone had asked me before last season what is my ambition it was always to win the BSB title. That is now complete but now that I have it, I certainly won't be giving it up without a fight. I am lucky as there are so many riders on the grid that want to become the BSB champion, whereas in that respect I am starting the new season feeling relaxed. I am treating next year in the same way I did last season because I definitely want to keep hold of the number one plate for the Swan Yamaha team."

21-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Website Find Reply