McWILLIAMS IN N-W SHOCK
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
McWILLIAMS IN N-W SHOCK
Ulster road racing powerhouse Ryan Farquhar has hailed former Grand Prix winner Jeremy McWilliams’ deal to ride for his KMR Kawasaki team at the North West 200 in May as a “fairytale”.

Farquhar has been a pioneer of the SuperTwins class from its humble beginnings and was only too glad to provide one of his ER6 machines for McWilliams’ road racing debut at the international showpiece on the north coast.

McWilliams previously stated his desire to compete at the North West 200 and will make good on his claim when he lines up on the SuperTwins grid alongside team boss Farquhar and upcoming youngster Jamie Hamilton.

The class has been added to the NW200 programme for the first time following the demise of the two-stroke events and will be held over four laps on Thursday, May 17.

A Superstock race will also be held on the Thursday evening of race week following the daytime practice session in a move by the organisers to revamp the schedule and offer better value for money for fans, who were left disappointed following last year’s cancellation of the event due to a series of catastrophic setbacks.

[Image: ryanteamnw2012.jpg]

Farquhar, who was among the guests at last night’s Adelaide Motorcycle Awards in Belfast, said: “Having Jeremy make his North West 200 debut on one of my bikes is a fairytale for me. I’ve been involved in the SuperTwin class from day one and promoted it as best I can.

“It’s a perfect bike for both newcomers and experienced riders and I don’t think I could have a better team with Jeremy and Jamie [Hamilton.]

“Thankfully I secured sponsors which has made our North West 200 dream a reality. We’re really looking forward to it.”

McWilliams, who won the 250cc Grand Prix at Assen in 2001, is in the twilight of his career but continues to compete in selected events and rode one of Farquhar’s KMR Kawasaki machines at the Sunflower Trophy meeting in October, finishing first and third in the two SuperTwins races.

The veteran Northern Ireland star has always been a fan of the event and has no intention of simply making up the numbers when he makes his debut on the roads.

“The North West 200 is renowned in the world of motorsport – I’ve been attending it as a fan since I was a teenager and I’m really looking forward to experiencing it at first hand,” he said.

“The event has a unique atmosphere and exceptional racing. I’m hoping that I can be a competitive newcomer but I’ve some great competition just from my team-mates.

“It would be a fairytale to win the new SuperTwins race but I have to be realistic. I’m really happy with my bike and it’s been great to work with Ryan Farquhar.”

Mervyn Whyte, technical director at the NW200, expects McWilliams’ entry to give the class a huge boost and hopes fans will be excited by the prospect of the 48-year-old’s link-up with Farquhar’s outfit.

“Jeremy McWilliams is nothing short of a living legend in motorsport and no doubt our fans will be excited at the prospect of watching him race at the Relentless International North West 200,” said Whyte.

“The SuperTwins class is a new race for the North West 200 this year and we are pleased to be introducing it with such a high calibre line-up.”

McWilliams may not be the last big name joining Farquhar’s team for the SuperTwins race at the North West 200, as News Letter Sport understands that Michael Rutter - one of the event’s biggest heroes - could also be KMR-Kawasaki mounted on May 17.

The SuperTwins and Superstock races will whet the appetite for Saturday’s main programme of events, which will take place on May 19 with daytime practice on Tuesday, May 15 and Thursday, May 17.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

21-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Website Find Reply