Fogarty "can’t wait" for NW200 return
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Fogarty "can’t wait" for NW200 return
[Image: nw200hdr2012.jpg]

Four-time World Superbike champion Carl Fogarty has told the News Letter he can’t wait to return to the North West 200 for the first time in almost two decades in May.

The bike racing legend, who marked a famous Superbike double with an emotional celebration on his last appearance at the event in 1993 on the Moto Cinelli Ducati, will complete a demonstration lap of the 8.9-mile Triangle circuit on May 19.

Renowned for his aggressive riding style and ferocious fighting spirit, 'Foggy' built up a massive following during a stellar career that saw the Blackburn star capture four World Superbike crowns (1994, 1995, 1998, 1999), two TT Formula One world titles (1988 and 1989), plus the FIM Formula One World Cup in 1990.

The 46-year-old also won three races at the Isle of Man TT and was involved in one of road racings most iconic showdowns in the 1992 Senior, losing out by four seconds to Steve Hislop (JPS Norton) but setting a new lap record on the final lap at 123.61 mph on his Loctite Yamaha, which incredibly stood for seven years.

[Image: foggy4atnwest.jpg]

Fogarty says the North West 200 “can't come quick enough” as he prepares to wow fans on the north coast with special demonstration laps in between races on a Ducati supplied by Millsport Motorcycles in Ballymoney.

“It's been almost 20 years since I was at the North West 200 - I've not been back since I last raced there in 1993 when I did the double.

“I've talked about going back a lot of times but most years I've had something else on and I've not been able to make it for whatever reason,” he said.

“But Mervyn (Whyte) spoke to me last week and I said I'd love to, because I was free.

“It's great to be a part of it all again and hopefully we'll see some good racing and then I'll do a lap by myself, if I can remember which way it goes !

“I can't wait and it can't come quick enough for me now.”

Reflecting on his epic Superbike double in 1993, when he also set a new lap record at 122.491 mph, Fogarty vividly remembers his elation at finally winning a race at the North West after several years of misfortune.

“I'd kind of been the fastest guy at the North West 200 for two or three years before that, but because of machinery problems I never managed to win the race.

“In 1992 and '93 I had a lot of problems with the Hondas and I kept thinking it was never going to happen,”
he said.

“Then obviously I went there on the Ducati and the bike was obviously the best that year - you need a fast bike at the North West because of the high speeds, so there was so much relief after winning a race that meant so much to me.

“I thought it was going to elude me because of the problems I'd had before, so I was glad to finally get the win and go on to other things.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
14-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Website Find Reply