TOP NAMES IN ‘TWINS’ BOOST
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TOP NAMES IN ‘TWINS’ BOOST
[Image: nw200hdr2012.jpg]

Honda TT Legends rider Simon Andrews and Ulster road racing star Michael Dunlop are the latest names set to compete in the inaugural Supertwins race at the Relentless International North West 200 in May.

Andrews, who will ride the official Legends CBR1000RR Fireblade alongside 17-time Isle of Man TT winner John McGuinness on the roads this season, will make his debut in the class with backing from Paul Shoesmith’s Ice Valley Racing team.

The Supertwins 650 event will be held on the Thursday evening of race week, May 17, following the daytime practice session.

A Superstock race will also be held following practice as part of a revamped schedule this year, providing an improved programme of events and offering fans greater value for money prior to the main event on race day, Saturday, May 19.

Dunlop, yet to officially confirm his plans for the season ahead, is also poised to compete in the class to take on a quality field that includes the KMR Kawasaki trio of Ryan Farquhar, former Grand Prix hero Jeremy McWilliams and young talent Jamie Hamilton.

Andrews was due to make his North West 200 debut last year but his maiden appearance at the international road race was overshadowed when the event was abandoned after one race following a bomb scare, poor weather and an oil spill.

“There’s been a lot of chat about the Supertwins particularly with local hero Ryan Farquhar giving the race a great profile,” said Andrews.

“It’s definitely a growing class and I think it’s a brilliant idea for NW200 organisers to launch the Supertwins at the new Thursday evening race programme.

“I really enjoyed the north coast circuit and was looking forward to getting stuck into racing. It was unfortunate that the weather just didn’t play ball but I can’t wait to compete this year on both Thursday night and race day on Saturday.”

[Image: Siandrewsatagosleap.jpg]
Simon Andrews (Ice Valley BMW) at Ago's Leap during the Senior TT.
PICTURE BY STEPHEN DAVISON

Andrews, from Evesham, has been building his fitness levels following a serious crash at Snetterton last summer that left him with a broken leg.

He is due to have an external cage removed on Monday and expects to be fully recovered in time for the North West 200, which gets under way with the first practice session on Tuesday, May 15.

“I’m recovering really well after sustaining injuries at Snetterton at the end of June and am currently training every day,” Andrews said.

“The cage on my leg is due to be removed on Monday and I’m looking forward to building up my strength and getting into gear for my first competitive race in early April.

“I’ve had a lot of support from my team, family and friends as well as the medical experts and everything is currently progressing on schedule and I should be fully fit and ready for NW200 race week.”

Andrews is part of the Honda team that will contest the World Endurance Championship this year, with TT legend McGuinness plus top road racers Cameron Donald and Gary Johnson completing the line-up.

Australian ace Donald will ride for Wilson Craig’s Honda team on the roads, with Lincolnshire’s Johnson joining Bruce Anstey in Clive Padgett’s Honda outfit for the Superbike races.

Mervyn Whyte, NW200 technical director, said he was pleased with the quality of the entries.

“We’re delighted that someone of Andrews talent and standing is adding his name to our Supertwins line-up for Thursday night. We’re also thrilled that top local rider Michael Dunlop has confirmed his place.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
25-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Website Find Reply