Cox moves up to fifth in championship with fourth place finish at Thruxton.
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Cox moves up to fifth in championship with fourth place finish at Thruxton.
[Image: loughernewlogo.jpg]

Victor Cox rode to a strong fourth place finish in the second round of the Metzeler National Superstock 1000 Championship at Thruxton on Sunday, coming agonisingly close to a podium finish in the process.

It was once again an impresssive performance by the ILR Kawasaki teamster who is showing excellent early season form.

Never out of the top three in both sectors, Cox made his intentions clear with second place in free practice just 0.58 seconds off the pace with a best lap of 1:18.29s. Meanwhile his team-mate Ash Beech had immediately knuckled down to the task in hand and had set about familiarising himself with the track whilst still posting an impressive 1:20.73s for 22nd place, the young newcomer to the series had only completed two laps of the Hampshire circuit before this year's meeting.

Despite missing the first 15 minutes of the First Qualifying session, Cox didn't take long to pick up where he had left off. Consistently in the 1min 18sec bracket, he finished the session 6th fastest just 0.28s off provisional pole and quickest through the second sector. Beech was also going well, improving his lap time by almost a second he finished the session 21st quickest just 1.8 secs off the pace and ahead of some of the more established runners in this class.

Any hope of further improvement in qualifying was dashed when the second session was held in wet conditions. With the forecast for race day dry, it was decided that nothing would be achieved by participating in the session and so Victor and Ash sat it out.

The weather forecasters got it right for race day, however the race was only a few seconds old when the safety car came out and remained on track for 4 laps. On the fifth lap they were racing for the first time in earnest and at the end of the lap Victor came through in 6th place at the head of a four man group and half a second down on fifth place man Danny Buchan but on the next lap Cox put in the fastest lap of the race at 1m:17.86s to break clear of his pursuers and close right up on Buchan and Howie Mainwaring. Ash Beech was down in 34th place and trying to find some clear track to make up ground after a bad start.

On the next lap Cox got past Buchan to move into fifth, right on Mainwaring's tail and just 0.8secs down on the leader Steve Brogan and he determinedly held this position for the next five laps constantly within striking distance of the leaders whilst fending off Jonathan Railton and Jason O'Halloran with Adam Jenkinson and Buchan also threatening. With two laps to go Victor moved into fourth, 0.5secs behind Mainwaring in third.

Meanwhile Ash Beech was on the move and had gained nine places to 25th and in the thick of a four man battle. With a lap to go O'Halloran got past Victor to demote him to 5th but on the final lap Steve Brogan went out as he made a move for the lead and Cox again went fourth, just missing out on a podium by 0.35secs. Beech had also ridden superbly to battle his way through to 21st, posting a lap of 1:19.60s on Lap 11, his fastest lap of the weekend.

So, with the fastest lap of the race and first and fourth fastest respectively through both sectors, it was a good weekend's work for Victor and the ILR Kawasaki team as he now moves up to joint 5th in the championship standings. Ash Beech again impressed team boss Ian Lougher with his speed and commitment. On an unfamiliar circuit and in only his second race at this level, Ash rode well all weekend and is showing tremendous promise.

Victor Cox:

'It was a good weekend, I'm a bit gutted we weren't on the podium but we showed we have the pace and it was good to set the fastest lap in the race. The team as always did a great job and I am now really looking forward to the next round at Oulton Park.'

Ash Beech:

'The weekend went well. I just need to work on my qualifying to get on the first few rows and get tougher in the race itself. It was nice to get a dry race under my belt on the 1000 and I can't wait to get back on the bike and start getting some good results.'

It's a three week break now before the action resumes at Oulton Park over the May Bank Holiday weekend, 5-7 May.

16-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Website Find Reply