McCormick hurt in Assen crash
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
McCormick hurt in Assen crash
[Image: mccormickassen.jpg]

The Effenbert Liberty Racing Team announces that Brett McCormick, following the disastrous crash in race two this afternoon in Assen, after checks in the circuit medical center, has suffered a trauma to cervical spine, a facial trauma with a hematoma to the eye sockets as well as a fracture of the fifth finger of his right hand, and he was sent to Assen hospital for further evaluation.

The result of more checks carried out showed that there was a fracture to the fifth and sixth cervical vertebrae, apparently without neurological complications, so Brett has now been transferred to Groningen hospital, where it will be decided how to stabilize the injuries.

Further updates will follow as soon as they are available.

24-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: McCormick hurt in Assen crash
McCormick: ‘Two to three month' recovery?

An update on the condition of injured World Superbike rider Brett McCormick by the Effenbert Liberty Ducati team has confirmed that the young Canadian should make a full recovery.

However medical estimates suggest the 20-year-old's recovery will be measured in terms of months, with a further fracture now diagnosed.

'Recent clinical investigations have shown that in addition to the fracture of the 5th and 6th cervical vertebra, Brett has also reported a lumbar fracture, so for few weeks he will have to wear a collar and back brace to immobilize the affected areas', said the Effenbert Liberty statement.

'The situation is positive, there aren't any spinal damage, as it was already excluded after the first analysis, on Sunday.'

Canadian SBK champion McCormick, competing in only his second WSBK meeting, was running eleventh when he fell heavily during Sunday's second race at Assen, sustaining injuries to his spine, face, eye and hand.

McCormick remains at Assen hospital but, 'with all probability Brett will leave to Canada by tomorrow, with a special trip that will include ambulance transport and a private plane, organised specifically, because the rider has to remain lying not to stress the fractures during the long flight itinerary.

'It is still early to fix the time of his full recovery, however it could be in about two-three months,' the statement added.

“I lived very bad moments after Brett's accident, the joy of the previous hours, with our first win in SBK, has been completely set aside by the great fear for the health of Brett,” declared team owner Mario Bertuccio.

“With all my riders there is not only a simple sporting relationship, but also a sincere friendship. We're all a big family, we enjoy together and suffer together! I'm close to him and his family and I'll wait patiently for his recovery.”

McCormick is one of four Effenbert Liberty WSBK riders. Team-mate Sylvain Guintoli took victory in race one at Assen.

26-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Website Find Reply