Quadruple Podium Success For Byrne And Farmer At Oulton
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Quadruple Podium Success For Byrne And Farmer At Oulton
[Image: rapid-solicitors-kawasaki-header.jpg]

Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki riders Shane Byrne and Keith Farmer couldn't quite muster a win between them at Oulton Park this weekend but both did their championship chances no harm in a dramatic weekend for the Penrith-based Paul Bird Motorsport Team.

Isle of Sheppey rider Byrne racked up more important podium credits to consolidate his claims to an all important Showdown place following a brace of third places and a runner-up spot over the weekend's three MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship races but was disappointed to miss out on a victory at the Cheshire track.

With inclement weather affecting proceedings on Friday, the double British Champion couldn't get a good setting and although he was at the cutting edge in all three races, he didn't quite have the pace to repeat his victory of two months ago but courtesy of his sixth successive podium finish, he holds third in the standings, just one point behind Australian rider Josh Brookes.

As well as his normal Metzeler Superstock 1000 machine, the team's regular rider in that class, Keith Farmer, ended up taking over Stuart Easton's Kawasaki ZX-10R Ninja Superbike as well after the Scot declared himself unfit following Friday's free practice sessions due to the knee injury he sustained at Silverstone three weeks ago.

Having never ridden the Superbike before, Farmer qualified in a brilliant 13th place but in the opening race on Saturday, he was unlucky to slide off uninjured early in the race. Sunday started just as dramatically as the Clogher, County Tyrone rider crashed out at high speed in the pre-race warm up following a clash with another rider and although he was uninjured, the machine was too badly damaged to take to the grid.

Good work by the team saw Farmer take his place on the grid for race three whereby from the back row, he rode sensibly to claim a top twenty finish.

However, just prior to that, a calculated ride onto the podium from his front row start saw him increase his lead in the Metzeler National Superstock 1000 Championship meaning his advantage is six points going into the next round at Brands Hatch in two weeks time, where Easton is hoping to return to action too.

Shane Byrne:

"To have a bad weekend and still come away with three podiums and one hand on a Showdown place isn't bad going but I was a long way off a win. We had some niggling problems which haven't helped this weekend so we need to sort these and come out fighting at Brands Hatch. Well done to Tommy Hill, he rode really well this weekend but next time out might be another story."

Stuart Easton:

"I always knew it was going to be an uphill struggle to try to get fit and I gave it a go but I just couldn't do what I needed to so we thought it best if I parked myself up. It was disappointing for me but I enjoyed helping Keith and I'm aiming to get my bike back for Brands Hatch where I'm still not ruling out squeezing into the Showdown."

Keith Farmer:

"My aim this weekend was to increase my lead in the Superstock 1000 Championship and that's what I did but not by as many points as I would have liked. It was a memorable meeting, that's for sure and I'd like to thank the team for giving me the opportunity of riding the Superbike. I was happy with qualifying but disappointed to crash even though the second time wasn't my fault."

Paul Bird:

"Four podiums are fine but we are not here to finish second or third and I'm disappointed we couldn't take a win in the four races. Shakey just didn't have the best package this weekend and we will take steps to address that before Brands Hatch and Keith did a great job to increase his championship lead as well as ride the Superbike. Hopefully Stuart will be back for the next round too."

09-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Website Find Reply