Brno beckons for BMW Motorrad Motorsport
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Brno beckons for BMW Motorrad Motorsport
[Image: bmwracinglogo.gif]

After a three week break, World Superbikes are back in action this weekend in the Czech Republic, at the famous Automotodrom Brno circuit. Following a successful post-race testing session at Aragón in Spain, the team has been busy preparing for this ninth round of the 2012 series, but still found time to enjoy a weekend meeting their fans at the annual BMW Motorrad Days festival in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Now it’s back to the business of world championship motorcycle racing and all the focus is on getting the best possible results at the 5.403 km track that is a favourite among many riders, including Marco Melandri who enjoyed a win and a second place there last year, as well as setting the fastest lap in both races.

“I really like Brno because it is a very fast and smooth circuit,” said Marco, who is currently second in the points standings, just 48 behind series leader Max Biaggi. “The turns are not too fast, most of them are second-gear corners and just a few times you turn in third gear – but you can use all the power of the RR’s engine between the corners! The layout is really good fun because it is up and down and the track is very wide. Last year I was successful there but every year is a new story so we have to wait and see how it will be this time. I think that our RR will work quite well on this track, so I am excited to go there.

“The BMW Motorrad Days at Garmisch-Partenkirchen was great fun. I have never been there before and it was such a huge event. There were so many different kinds of people who all shared the same passion for motorcycles, so it was very nice to be there and I was proud to see so many BMW fans.”

Currently occupying sixth place in the points, Leon Haslam is also really looking forward to Brno, as he loves racing there. With five podiums so far this year, the fast Brit is aiming to add the Czech circuit to his growing list of rostrum successes on the 2012 WSBK calendar.

“The circuit has a lot of history, it is fast, flowing and wide and the layout is quite unique with many up and down sections,” he said. “The characteristics of the circuit should suit our RR. Last year we had a tough weekend there, so I am looking forward to getting a better result there this weekend. I am still missing a podium there so this is for sure the target for Sunday.

“The weekend at the BMW Motorrad Days was great. There were many exciting attractions and it was amazing to see so many people who are motorcycle enthusiasts. It was good to meet them without the pressure of a race weekend and to give them insights into racing and the Superbike World Championship.”

For BMW Motorrad Motorsport’s Head of Race Operations, Andrea Dosoli, the Brno track presents many challenges in this competitive championship year, but he believes that all the hard work and preparation should put both riders in a good position when the teams first take to the track on Friday morning.

“Brno is an historical circuit and it will be an important event for Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport,” he said. “Both of our riders and crews are very motivated and looking forward to the Sunday races on a track which should suit the characteristics of our BMW S 1000 RR. The key will be matching the many changes of direction and the last uphill section with the performance characteristics of our powerful BMW engine.

“Leon has shown in Aragón that he is capable of performing well everywhere, also on those tracks where he has struggled in the past. So we are confident that he will do the same in Brno. Marco and his crew have been working hard to prepare for this event on a track where he already won last year. This will be an extra motivation for working even harder, as every race is a new challenge. Both of our riders will try to get the benefit from the chassis setting changes that we recently tested during the official Infront test in Aragón.”

17-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Website Find Reply