Rea and Aoyama relish Czech challenge
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Rea and Aoyama relish Czech challenge
[Image: hondaracinglogo.jpg]

Honda World Superbike Team riders Jonathan Rea and Hiroshi Aoyama are on their way to Brno in the Czech Republic this weekend (20-22 July) for round nine of the 2012 World Superbike championship.

Rea, currently lying third in the championship standings, has a special affinity with the 5.403km Automotodrom Brno circuit, which features spectacular descents and a steep climb back to the start-finish straight and hosts its tenth World Superbike event this weekend.

The 25-year-old, who married his fiancée Tatia Weston following the last round at Aragon in Spain, took his first world championship victory at Brno in the 2008 World Supersport race. Rea has taken his Honda CBR1000RR to the podium in his last three races there, missing last season through injury but finishing third in race two in 2009 and going 2-1 in 2010.

Hiroshi Aoyama has also visited the podium at Brno during his 250 GP career but the 30-year-old Japanese rider, who has just returned from testing for the iconic Suzuka 8-hour race in Japan, in which he will compete against his World Superbike team-mate on 29 July, is looking forward to his World Superbike debut in the Czech Republic.

Jonathan Rea

It’s been quite busy since Aragon – getting married and moving house – so I’m looking forward to getting back on the bike this weekend. I love the circuit at Brno and I had my first ever world championship race win there, on a Honda in 2008 in World Supersport. It seems to be a track that I bond with pretty good. Although I missed the round there last year my pace there in 2010 was pretty OK. Our bike is kind of progressing and I am really excited, even if Aragon was a tough round for us. We struggled there a little bit because we did not have any previous data. But for Brno we have a lot of previous information from there. We tested at Aragon after the race and we tried a lot of electronics bits and pieces, so it was a bit of a data gathering exercise for us. I love Brno and I am looking forward to going there.

Hiroshi Aoyama

I have raced this circuit before so I know the layout. In the summertime in Brno it can be very hot, so it can be tough. I know the track and I got a positive feeling at the last test, and I want to keep this positive feeling for the Brno race weekend. I want to start with a good feeling and a good lap time on Friday, and stay in the Superpole positions, as it is important to do that to get a good grid position.

2012 World Superbike championship, round nine

Automotodromo Brno, Czech Republic – weekend schedule (local times)

Friday 20 July

11.45-12.30 Free practice
15.30-16.15 Qualifying 1

Saturday 21 July

09.45-10.30 Qualifying 2
12.30-13.15 Free practice
15.00-15.14 Superpole 1
15.21-15.33 Superpole 2
15.40-15.50 Superpole 3

Sunday 23 July

09.20-09.35 Warm-up
12.00 Race 1 (20 laps 108.06km)