JOHNSON SIGNS UP FOR ULSTER GP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
JOHNSON SIGNS UP FOR ULSTER GP
[Image: ugphdr2012.jpg]

THE McKinstry Skip Hire Ulster Grand Prix was given a double boost when it was announced that both Australian David Johnson and the famous McAdoo Kawasakis will be on the grid during Bike Week on August 5- 11.

The 28 year old Aussie, who was the fastest newcomer at Dundrod in 2010, will ride the purple and turquoise Kawasakis of the Cookstown-based team in the Supersport, Superstock and Superbike classes.

“I’m really excited to be on the McAdoo bikes and I can’t wait to get started,” Johnson smiled as the announcement was made.

“I’ve raced against Conor Cummins on these bikes and I know how capable they are.’

“I really wanted to get into a good team for 2012 and show what I can do at Dundrod,”
the Adelaide born racer explained.

“Now I will be able to attack the circuit with controlled aggression and try to get a top five finish at least.”

Johnson won the British Superstock championship race at Oulton Park two weeks ago on the Carbon Tech BMW and he is currently lying fourth in the title race. He has a strong pedigree on the road circuits too, finishing as the fastest newcomer at the Isle of Man TT as well as Dundrod in 2010. Although he didn’t compete at this year’s North West 200, Johnson did ride Kawasaki machines for the Quattro Plant team at the TT in June, scoring top fifteen finishes in both the Superbike and Superstock TTs.

“I rate David very highly,” Ulster Grand Prix Clerk of the Course Noel Johnson said after clinching the deal to bring the Aussie back to the world’s fastest road race.

“He lapped at over 127mph in his debut year so we know that he is fast and with the McAdoo Kawasakis he is on great machinery.”

The Cookstown team’s Kawasakis have not raced in anger on the Irish roads since Manxman Conor Cummins rode them at the Prix last August.

The McAdoo family celebrated their 30th year of sponsorship in road racing in 2012 by backing Michael Dunlop, but with the Ballymoney man opting to run his own bikes the McAdoo machines have been in mothballs in the team workshop until now.

“These are our spare bikes that Michael hasn’t used this season so it’s a great opportunity for us to get them out on the track again,” team boss Jason McAdoo explained.

“Dave will have ZX10s for the Superstock and Superbike races and a ZX6R for the Supersport race. We have two trucks and two awnings so Michael and Dave will run alongside each other at Dundrod.”

Although Jason admitted that he didn’t know an awful lot about Johnson when he was first approached about the possibility of putting his bikes under the Aussie he said he was ‘very impressed’ by that recent British Superstock victory at Oulton Park.

“If you put any of the top road racers out in that race they would struggle to finish in the top six so to win shows that Dave has real speed,” he said.

“We’re not expecting too much from him but the bikes are here and he is a very talented rider so we will see how it goes.”

(This post was last modified: 20-07-2012, 09:26 PM by Malcolm.)
20-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Website Find Reply