DOUBLE PODIUM FOR BROOKES AT BRANDS BSB
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
DOUBLE PODIUM FOR BROOKES AT BRANDS BSB
[Image: tycotashdr1.jpg]

Tyco Suzuki's Josh Brookes confirmed his place in the all-important end of season British Superbike Championship Showdown with two hard-fought-for second places in yesterday's seventh round at Brands Hatch on his GSX-R1000.

The Australian, who lost set-up time in qualifying following a crash, raced to his 10th and 11th podiums of the season alongside double winner Shane Byrne and Tommy Hill on the GP circuit with a valuable 40-point haul.

Team mate Alastair Seeley kept his Showdown hopes alive with ninth and 11th-placed finishes. It was another tough weekend for the Ulsterman who crashed in free practice, which added to his problems in qualifying, but the 12 points scored in the two races leaves him 10th in the standings and not out of the hunt for a Showdown position.

PJ Jacobsen continued to impress on just his second appearance in Tyco Suzuki colours. The young American was up against it having to qualifying in the National 1000cc Superstock class and having never ridden the GP circuit before. And from 18th position on the grid, he made a gargantuan effort during the race on Sunday to take sixth place riding the team's GSX-R1000.

Josh Brookes:

"I'm not usually happy with second place but on this occasion I'm happy enough. I enjoyed both races and the bike worked perfectly; we just didn't quite have enough to match Shakey out there. We lost time in qualifying with the crash but we worked hard, made a few changes after race one and that gave me more confidence. You could see what I was doing trying inside, outside and every side to force Shakey into a mistake, as I knew if I just sat there he's never make one, but he doesn't crack. It was a good weekend. Thanks to all the boys in the team for the big effort."

Alastair Seeley:

"It's never easy coming back from a crash and a bad qualifying position but we worked hard at Brands and scored solid points. The competition is very tough in that top 10 or 12 places and I had some good battles. There's a few twists and turns to come yet I'd say, so I'm not giving up on that Showdown place until it's mathematically impossible."

PJ Jacobsen:

"It was another tough circuit to learn with so many blind corners but we worked hard and in the race I just gave it my all. I maybe could have taken fifth right at the end but the front was starting to wash on those last couple of laps so I didn't want to risk it. I've had a great time with the Tyco Suzuki team, met some great people; and rode two great tracks. Hopefully I'll be back."

Philip Neill - Team Manager:

"After a very difficult start to the weekend we can't really complain about the outcome of both races. Josh was superb adding another two podiums to his impressive tally this year. The GSX-R1000 Superbike worked superbly but we must keep working over the summer break to find that extra little bit. I'm sure Josh and his crew will also find a bit more as we approach the Showdown.

"Alastair also worked very hard and his results do not do the effort justice after fighting back from a crash in qualifying. It's not over yet but he really needs some strong results from the next two rounds to secure his place.

"Back with us for a second weekend, PJ Jacobsen was again really, really impressive as he quickly took to learning another new circuit. To post sixth place after only three sessions on it, is some achievement and shows the young man's talent on a motorcycle. Thanks as always to all our sponsors who turned out in force this weekend."

Race 1 Result:

1. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
2. Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +0.469s
3. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +6.434s
4. Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) +7.197s
5. Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) +9.172s
6. Chris Walker (Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki) +9.738s
7. Alex Lowes (WFR Honda) +11.024s
8. Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +12.057s
9. Alastair Seeley (Tyco Suzuki) +14.335s
10. Michael Rutter (MSS Bathams Kawasaki) +20.18s

Race 2 Result:

1. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
2. Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +1.583s
3. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +2.265s
4. Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) +3.104s
5. Noriyuki Haga (Swan Yamaha +9.261s
6. Alex Lowes (WFR Honda) +14.644s
7. Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) +15.683s
8. Ian Lowry (Padgetts Honda) +15.684s
9. Graeme Gowland (WFR Honda) +17.147s
10. James Westmoreland (WFR Honda) +23.695s

British Superbike Championship Standings:

1. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 266
2. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 255