RYAN’S MASTERPLAN
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RYAN’S MASTERPLAN
[Image: ugphdr2012.jpg]

Ryan Farquhar will sit out the Superstock and Supersport races at Saturday’s McKinstry Skip Hire Ulster Grand Prix.

The KMR Kawasaki rider will instead concentrate on the Supertwin and Superbike events at the 90th anniversary meeting.

Farquhar yesterday confirmed he would compete in the Superbike class after initially toying with the idea of only riding his Kawasaki ER6 twin at Dundrod.

The 36-year-old won the inaugural Supertwin races at the North West 200 and Isle of Man TT and is bidding to complete an international hat-trick in the class on Saturday.

He will also ride in the Supertwin and Superbike races at tomorrow’s Topaz Dundrod 150 meeting, which follows final practice for the UGP.

Farquhar said: “I want to try and get my Kawasaki Superbike sorted out and it will be a good opportunity to get a good bit of time on it.

“The first time I ever rode the bike was at the North West and I couldn’t get it to handle at the TT, so I parked it up.

“We made a massive improvement with it at Armoy although there are still things I want to try.

“It’s such a tough class and you’re up against so many good riders on good bikes, but it’s got to the stage now where you’ll never win a Superbike race on a ’stocker,”
he added.

“I’m working away at the bike and we’ll take it as it comes on Saturday and I just want to go out and enjoy myself.”

Farquhar lost out in the first Supertwin race to the late Wayne Hamilton from Portadown in 2011 before bouncing back to win the second 650cc event.

He won this after Hamilton crashed out of contention while holding second place.

The vastly experienced road racer hasn’t been having it all his own way in the class this season, with his KMR Kawasaki team-mate and young protégé Jamie Hamilton emerging as a tough opponent.

Hamilton claimed a breakthrough victory at the Southern 100 on the Isle of Man last month and was chasing Farquhar hard until he crashed out at Armoy.

The Ballyclare rider’s participation in the class at Dundrod was in doubt due to the damage sustained to his Kawasaki ER6.

But the bike has been repaired in time for today’s practice and former British Superstock 600 champion Hamilton will ride in the Supertwin races plus the Superbike and Superstock events on a ZX-10.

“We’ve been working flat-out on Jamie’s bike and we should just about have it finished in time,” Farquhar said.

“I’d be surprised if he’s not up there challenging in the race.

“ But you never know who else might come through on the day in the Supertwin class.

“I’m not going out to break records at Dundrod because I’ve had a good year and I’m starting to wind things down,”
added Farquhar.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
08-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Website Find Reply