Minister hits back over Manx Grand Prix ‘U-turn’
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Minister hits back over Manx Grand Prix ‘U-turn’
[Image: mgpfestivalgeneral.gif]

As government makes what is widely regarded as a U-turn over plans for the future of the Manx Grand Prix, the minister at the helm of the department in charge of motorsport has hit out at critics ‘looking for the chance to kick government’.

Earlier this year the Department of Economic Development unveiled detailed proposals to shelve most of the modern bike classes at the event and focus on classics.

The news was met with a demonstration outside Tynwald, formation of the MGP Action Group and an online petition which reached in the region of 10,000 signatures. The Action Group, an independent group unconnected with the MMCC, was active during the TT, handing out tee-shirts bearing the ‘Save the Manx’ slogan.

Ali Foster, a founder member of the campaign group, even composed and performed a humorous song about the campaign.

But, as this week’s Isle of Man Examiner reported, the DED revealed it no longer planned to cut the event short or scrap any of the modern bike classes. Instead, a three-day classic festival based around the middle weekend, incorporating the classic races on Saturday and Bank Holiday Monday as well as the Vintage Motor Cycle Club’s Festival of Jurby on Sunday, will be held.

This will be rebranded the Classic TT Races, it will be run by the MMCC and promoted by the DED. The modern races will be branded as the Manx Grand Prix Races and will continue to be run by the Manx Motor Cycle Club, with financial support from DED.

MMCC chairman Harvey Garton has said the club would be working with the DED to build and promote the event, adding: ‘There is compromise on both sides so no-one should be claiming victory.’

iomtoday understands this is not a view shared in all quarters, with many believing the pressure piled on government over their proposals has led to an about-face.

Asked by iomtoday to comment on the view that the plans, in particular sticking with the two-week format and the modern bikes, consituted a U-turn, Economic Development Minister John Shimmin said: ‘It is a shame that some negative people always seem to be looking for the chance to kick government.

‘I am enormously grateful to the many parties who contributed to our initial round of consultation in a positive way to try and improve the MGP offering and to benefit the island.

‘We have engaged with the MMCC and have come forward with proposals that will satisfy some and disappoint others - that is almost inevitable in these situations.

‘I would encourage all those on both sides of the argument to now come together and rally behind a festival which has the potential to benefit many parts of our community and to support the 2012 MGP and embrace the proposed improvements into the future.’

[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]
09-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Minister hits back over Manx Grand Prix ‘U-turn’
As a past MGP & TT competitor over a period of 9 years, I read with disbelief the reported comments of Mr John Shimmin, as made public on iomtoday.

From day one, the not unexpected arrogance of Manx Government Ministers and DED Officials has appalled me. Originally, the proposed new format for the MGP "Festival" was presented as a done deal - agreed, some public consultation was carried out but, according to a DED spokesman as I recall, "not with those whose opinions we would know anyway" - in other words, don't ask those who would oppose it!!

Quite clearly their confident expectation was that the whole thing would be railroaded through without any problem.

Thank God for those who "went to war" on this issue - Dave Sells, Ali Foster and Harvey Garton to name only three out of thousands.

"No U-turn, Mr Shimmin?"

Now, and only now, are you encouraging all to come together - why did you not say this many months ago?

I am afraid that you have revealed yourself as not only incompetent but also hypocritical, and I do think that the best course of action, for the good of all, would be for you to stand down immediately from all positions of responsibility.

Larry Devlin
09-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Find Reply
ammo Offline

Threads: 3
(09-08-2012, 08:21 PM)larryd Wrote: As a past MGP & TT competitor over a period of 9 years, I read with disbelief the reported comments of Mr John Shimmin, as made public on iomtoday.

From day one, the not unexpected arrogance of Manx Government Ministers and DED Officials has appalled me. Originally, the proposed new format for the MGP "Festival" was presented as a done deal - agreed, some public consultation was carried out but, according to a DED spokesman as I recall, "not with those whose opinions we would know anyway" - in other words, don't ask those who would oppose it!!

Quite clearly their confident expectation was that the whole thing would be railroaded through without any problem.

Thank God for those who "went to war" on this issue - Dave Sells, Ali Foster and Harvey Garton to name only three out of thousands.

"No U-turn, Mr Shimmin?"

Now, and only now, are you encouraging all to come together - why did you not say this many months ago?

I am afraid that you have revealed yourself as not only incompetent but also hypocritical, and I do think that the best course of action, for the good of all, would be for you to stand down immediately from all positions of responsibility.

Larry Devlin

Well said Larry , I totally agree.I wont say what I truly think about these people because, no doubt, it would only be deleted by the Administrator.

ammo

10-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
I agree with all the foregoing ,,what you have to remember is that Mr Shimmin was a teacher before becoming an MHK which explains his I am right and you will listen attiude.

WRONG!!

I will now spoil myself by saying that I resent being patronised by jumped up nobodies.

I have met the gentleman concerned socially and I got the impression of an arrogant front bottom.

Sorry for that but that was my feeling
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2012, 10:58 PM by beepee.)
10-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Come on guys... a bit harsh eh..?? Heck NO..!! Nicely put Larry, et al.....!!! I suspect a certain person would be better off taking the next two weeks off... off the Island that is..!

There are still some concerns.... hope it all works out for the long term...

My thanks to those that stood up...!!

Ron
11-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Find Reply