Michael Dunlop to go through pain barrier at Ulster Grand Prix
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Michael Dunlop to go through pain barrier at Ulster Grand Prix
[Image: ugphdr2012.jpg]

Michael Dunlop is set to go through the pain barrier as he contemplates equalling Phillip McCallen's 16-year old record of five wins in one day at the Ulster Grand Prix at Dundrod.

Dunlop has recently been suffering from two slipped discs in his back.

"I feel a bit stiff, but with a bit of rest I'll be alright," said Dunlop.

"The Superstock and Superbike are good, I'm just struggling a wee bit for speed on the Supersport. I feel ok when I'm on the bike, I'm here to win races."

"If the five wins come to me, that's great, if they don't I'll be happy to get some victories on the board.

"It's just when I'm getting on and off the bike that it is sore, but I'm happy, I'll just have to ride harder on Saturday."

Dunlop came into the meeting as favourite after securing five wins at the Southern 100, two at Walderstown and a hat-trick at Armoy.

His status was enhanced by a victory in the feature Dundrod 150 Superbike race on Thursday.

[Image: mdunlopraisedfists.jpg]

One of his main challengers will be his brother William, especially in the Supersport classes.

"The 600 is going well and it was really nice to secure pole position," said the elder of the Dunlop brothers.

"I have the bikes to win races - I just need a bit of luck on the day.

"This is a proper natural road race with no chicanes, it's just wide and flowing.

"My ribs are still giving me a bit of bother after my crash at Skerries a few weeks ago, but the adrenaline keeps me going when I am on the bike.

"It's when I get off the bike that I get sore."

Tyco TAS Suzuki rider Guy Martin was happy with his progress after taking pole position for the Superbike events.

"I learnt a bit during practice, we were chopping and changing things on the bike and they mostly worked," confirmed the Lincolnshire rider.

"I've had a fairly dire season and haven't won many races, but I've enjoyed it nonetheless.

"This is a cracking event and a mega circuit - the only pressure I feel is that which I put on myself."

Also in contention for race wins should be Padgett's Honda pair Gary Johnson and Bruce Anstey and Martin's Suzuki team-mate, Manxman Conor Cummins.

Ryan Farquhar will seek to add to his tally of Supertwins successes.

[Image: bbcsport.gif]

10-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Michael Dunlop to go through pain barrier at Ulster Grand Prix
[Image: ugphdr2012.jpg]

Slick Michael Dunlop wins pain game

Michael Dunlop stormed to victory in the Dundrod 150 despite suffering from back problems caused by two slipped discs.

This was the 23-year old Ballymoney rider’s first Dundrod 150 victory and sets him up well for today’s Ulster Grand Prix.

Dunlop was 1.5secs ahead at the end of lap two and although Guy Martin chased him hard it was the McAdoo Hunts Honda man who set the fastest lap at 133.375mph — his fastest ever Dundrod lap — on lap three to stretch his advantage to 2.4secs.

Martin finished second ahead of Tyco Suzuki by TAS team mate Conor Cummins.

Dunlop said: “It was head down from the start although I had a big moment at Quarterlands where I hit a white line with the feet off the pegs and bike sideways.

“It’s looking good for Saturday with a few things to change yet. It’s good to get a big bike victory around here.”

The race was red flagged on the fourth lap when Lee Vernon from Stoke-on-Trent crashed heavily in the Rock Cross area and was rushed to hospital.

In the combined 125 Supertwin and Supersport 400cc races Ryan Farquhar romped to an 11.5 second victory over his KMR team mate Jamie Hamilton with Adrian Archibald in third position.

William Dunlop started at the back of the 125GP grid after a poor qualifying run, but by the end of the first lap he was in the lead and although he lost the advantage on lap two to Sam Wilson the Ballymoney rider was back in front on lap three.

The race was stopped on lap four when Paul Jordan crashed at Cochranstown, suffering a suspected broken leg.

The result was taken from lap three giving Dunlop his fifth UGP victory with Wilson second and Ollie Linsdell third.

Lisbellaw rider Lee Johnston raced to a tremendous double on his Dundrod debut, winning both the National and Challenge races.

He set a new class lap record riding a 600cc East Coast Honda to a four second National win from Dean Harrison and Russ Mountford, switching to the Millsport Ducati Panagale for his Challenge race victory, two seconds ahead of Rob Barber and Harrison.

Meanwhile, in yesterday’s final qualifying sessions Michael Dunlop set the circuit alight with a speed of 132.021mph, the fastest of the day, in the Superstock class on his way to pole position for the opening race of tomorrow’s McKinstry Skip Hire 90th Anniversary Ulster Grand Prix.

Dunlop was 3.3secs faster than Kiwi Bruce Anstey with Guy Martin and Stephen Thompson completing the four-man front row.

Earlier Martin had set his stall out for tomorrow’s two Superbike races by taking pole position with a lap of 131.706mph, two 10ths of a second ahead of arch rival Michael Dunlop with William Dunlop in third, the front row completed by late entry Gary Johnson.

English rider John Tattersall crashed at Dawsons Bend. He was taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg and ankle.

William Dunlop came with a late surge to take pole position for the Supersport races a full second clear of Johnson, Michael Dunlop and Anstey.

Ryan Farquhar set the pace in the Supertwin class 3.3secs ahead of Ollie Linsdell as he chases a unique treble having won the class at the North West 200 and TT.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]

By Roy Harris
11-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Website Find Reply