Safe and sensible driving urged ahead of MGP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Safe and sensible driving urged ahead of MGP
[Image: deptofinfrastructurelogo.jpg]

The Department of Infrastructure’s Road Safety team officially launched its MGP road safety campaign yesterday morning, Thursday 16th August.

This year’s MGP campaign follows on from the successful campaign that ran during TT, which was a joint initiative with the Isle of Man Constabulary. It features a series of images depicting motorcyclists undertaking dangerous manoeuvres around the Mountain Course. The strapline of the campaign is ‘Stay alert, Stay alive’ which presents a concise and hard-hitting message that should leave a lasting impression on residents and visitors alike.

The campaign was launched at the TT Grandstand by Minister for Infrastructure, David Cretney MHK and Chief Constable Mike Langdon. As Mr Langdon is retiring at the end of the year, this represents the last motorcycle road safety campaign he will be involved with in his capacity as Chief Constable.

Mr Cretney said:
‘I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mike for all the support he has given to the Road Safety campaigns for TT, MGP and many more. During his five years as Chief Constable the relationship between my Department and the Constabulary has flourished, and it is fantastic that he lends his full support to all of our campaigns.’

‘During this year’s TT festival there were no fatal race incidents, but tragically there were five motorcycle fatalities on our roads. The key message is – if you want to ride fast get a race licence. The Road Safety team want motorcycle enthusiasts to enjoy the MGP festival, and also make sure they stay safe on the Island’s roads, ride to the conditions and their ability and don’t drink and ride.’

When out riding on open roads remember, commercial vehicles use the same roads so ride accordingly. The Mountain Road will remain two-way for the duration of the Manx Grand Prix, unlike for the TT when the Mountain Road is made one-way due to the high number of visitors on the Island.

The Island’s roads are glorious but they are also quite narrow and winding, such that stopping and overtaking sight lines are often extremely limited.

It is also important to remember that there are prohibited and restricted areas around the MGP course which are marked with clear warning signs. Spectators are required to keep clear of these areas for their own safety and that of the racers during MGP races and practice.

Chief Constable, Mike Langdon said:
‘Road Safety campaigns have always formed an important part of my role as Chief Constable. It is my job to help keep the residents and visitors to the Island safe, and road safety is a major part of this. I would echo the comments of Minister Cretney and ask all motorists to take care on our roads at this busy time of year. As usual, the Roads Policing Unit will have an extra presence to ensure that people are adhering to the rules of the road and not endangering themselves and other road users.’

17-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Website Find Reply