Riders eye glory on the Mountain
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Riders eye glory on the Mountain
[Image: mgpgreenlogo.jpg]

Practice for the Manx Grand prix is scheduled to get under way on Saturday evening on the legendary Mountain Course.

A host of Northern Ireland riders are among the big favourites for success on the Isle of Man, including Ryan Farquhar and Michael Dunlop, while Antrim’s John Simpson is preparing to make his debut at the event.

Simpson will compete for the British Superbike Splitlath Redmond team on a Triumph 675 as he builds up his experience of the iconic road racing circuit ahead of next year’s Isle of Man TT races, when he is expected to join American rider Mark Miller for his maiden appearance at the prestigious event.

The Welsh team is jointly owned by Splitlath Motorsport owner, John Dimbylow and former 400m and 4x400m World, European and Commonwealth champion Derek Redmond.

And although tragedy struck at the North West 200 in May, when Scottish rider Mark Buckley was killed following a crash in the Superstock race, they remain committed to pressing ahead with their roads programme.

Simpson - the reigning British Supersport Cup champion - dominated the Aberdare road races in Wales last month and could be in line to compete at the Macau Grand Prix in November.

He has been competing in the European Superstock 600 championship this season on the Trickbits/FBM Performance Triumph.

The 22-year-old, who will ride in the Newcomers, Junior and Senior races, said: “I’m so excited, I can’t wait to get out there. I’ve had my eye on the Manx for a few years now and to finally get the chance to do it is just great

“I do love the roads and obviously the TT is the big one which I’m working towards,”
added Simpson.

“I think doing the Manx this year is going to be the perfect training for next year’s TT.”

Simpson is among the main contenders in the Newcomers A race, which has attracted an interesting entry from rising prospect Dean Harrison’s younger brother Adrian. The race was won a year ago by young prospect Wayne Hamilton from Portadown, who was sadly killed following a crash in the Junior event.

Michael Sweeney, a Manx GP winner in 2010, will have aspirations of scaling the top step of the rostrum again in the Junior and Senior races, when he rides for the Martin Bullock team.

His rivals include event regular Phillip McGurk, plus Jamie Coward on the Barnes Racing machines and Paul Smyth and Ulster’s Stephen McKnight, who finished second and third respectively in the Junior race in 2011.

Wayne Kirwan will also fancy his chances as he returns to the Manx on the Crossan Motorcycles Yamaha R6, while Kiaran Hankin - a former top 20 finisher at the TT three years ago - also poses a big threat. Manx GP current outright lap record holder, Alan Jackson, is entered this year on a Moriwaki 600.

Road racing stars Farquhar and Dunlop will clash in the Classic Superbike race, when Manx rider Dan Kneen is among the opposition.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

18-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Website Find Reply