Splitlath Redmond ready for busiest weekend of the season
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Splitlath Redmond ready for busiest weekend of the season
[Image: splitlathredmondlogo.jpg]

The Splitlath Redmond team is gearing up for its busiest weekend on the 2012 calendar as the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship heads to Cadwell Park for one of the biggest events of the year.

While BSB boys Mark Aitchison and John Laverty tackle the famous Lincolnshire circuit, the outfit’s Road Racing team and rider John Simpson will enjoy their first two races at the Manx Grand Prix on Saturday and Monday.

And that’s not all. Team co-owner Derek Redmond and Pete ‘Little Pete’ Douglas will also be out in action as they contest the Hottrax Endurance event at Donington Park.

This will be the first time all three divisions of the Splitlath Redmond team have raced at the same time, and hopes are high that all riders can bring home some good results.

For the BSB riders, this will be their first time back on board since their successful test at Donington Park earlier this month where Aitchison emerged as a consistent top five runner.

However he is keeping his cards close to his chest as he prepares to face Cadwell Park and its famous Mountain for the first time in race conditions.

“Cadwell is a very different track and I’m not really certain how we are going to do there,” he said. “What we do know is that after the Donington test earlier this month we’ve made some big jumps forward, but how this will translate to Cadwell isn’t clear.

“I think we need to treat this as something new and not look to the test as an indication. The track is completely different. I think we need to just go out and tackle it head on and then look ahead to the rest of the season with tracks which should suit us better.”

After finding a base setting he was happy with during the Donington test, Laverty is looking forward to getting back on board the Aprilia RSV4 this weekend.

“I left Donington feeling very confident and while this is a very different sort of circuit, I think the steps we made at the test can be improved upon here. We’ve still got a long way to go, but the results at Donington were very encouraging.

“Cadwell is one of those rounds where absolutely anything can happen – and usually does - so I’m going there excited and hopeful that we can bring home some decent results for the team.”

Across at the Isle of Man, John Simpson continues to improve on the Splitlath Redmond Triumph 675. He will contest the Newcomers race on Saturday, and in practice so far this week has been among the fastest of the new riders.

And at Donington Park, Derek Redmond is hoping his earlier training with BSB rider Mark Aitchison helps him as he returns to the Endurance scene for the first time this year.

“I am hoping what Mark has been teaching me will rub off this weekend. Little Pete has always been fast and I didn’t want to be the one letting the side down, but now I think I know a little bit more about how to ride Donington so I’m feeling pretty confident ahead of this weekend.”

Team co-owner John Dimbylow is ready for the busy weekend. “The whole team is out in different places – we’re all split up so it will be a bit strange,” he said.

“Obviously I’ll be at Cadwell Park and I’m hoping we can get some good results. The recent test has put everyone in good spirits and I’m sure we can build on it and we can move forward some more.

“It’s going to be Mark’s first race there so that should be a bit of an eye-opener for him, but he can cope. He’s already showed us what he can do and we’re confident he can deliver again this weekend.

“As for the rest of them, Johnno is flying over at the Manx. He’s got a real talent for the roads and we know he’ll have a good race this weekend and then two more next week, while Derek will be doing his bit at Donington.

“It’s going to be an unusual weekend for all of us, but with five races between us this weekend, we’re hopeful of some good results.”

23-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Website Find Reply