Oil leak denies Simpson of potential Manx podium
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Oil leak denies Simpson of potential Manx podium
[Image: splitlathredmondlogo.jpg]

John Simpson was denied a potential podium in the Newcomers race at the Manx Grand Prix after an oil leak forced him into retirement on the final lap.

The 21-year-old had looked on course for at least a third place finish despite being hit by a 30 second penalty for exceeding the pit lane speed limit after a lightning-quick second lap around the famous Mountain course.

On board the Splitlath Redmond Triumph 675 machine, the Northern Ireland rider had already clocked the fastest time through the speed traps and was on what would easily have been his fastest lap of the three lap race when the mechanical problem struck.

His machine developed a small oil leak which ran onto his boot and foot peg, causing his foot to slip off twice. As a matter of safety he had no other option but to pull over and retire at Laurel Bank.

“I’m gutted but I wasn’t going to take any chances out there,” he said. “Once my foot slipped off that second time I knew it was time to call it a day. This isn’t a course where you want to be riding if you’re not 100 per cent happy.

“What’s harder for me to deal with is that I had the bike pinned on that lap. I was going for it. It felt great, it was handling well and I was on it. I knew I could get a good result and I know even with the penalty I could’ve got the third.

“But you can’t mess about here, it’s not a place where you have second chances. I knew I was on a fast one but I had to be sensible and pulling over was the only thing I could do. I was raging for bit because I knew we were going well, but it’s one of those things and you can’t do anything about it.”

[Image: johnsimpson2.jpg]
John Simpson in the Newcomers Race. - Pic by BHP Motorsport Photography

While disappointed not to have finished the race, Simpson is now confident ahead of the rest of race week. He will be out again on Monday for the Junior race, and then again on Friday for the Senior.

“I feel I’ve learnt the track now, and I think we’re in a good place for the rest of the week. Of course I’m a bit disappointed - the Newcomer race was my chance of a win and you only get to do it once, but looking at the bigger picture it’s all good.

“I know my way around and I think we can really challenge for good positions in the other two races. I didn’t think I’d learn this place as quickly as I have but I’ve really taken to it. I love it, and I can’t wait to race again on Monday.

“I’ve taken every session steady to start and then cranked it up later. That’s how I handled the race and it was working for me. I’ll play the other two in exactly the same way, it’s worked well so far and hopefully we can get the results on Monday.”

Team co-owner John Dimbylow was impressed at his rider’s pace and attitude. “John is a sensible rider and once again he made the right call. He shouldn’t be too disappointed because he’s proved he can do it.

“He’s really taken to the course and it’s exciting for us all because we’ve realised he’s going to be in a good position when he returns to the Isle of Man for the TT next year.

“This event is one where he has no pressure from anyone. He’s here to learn the course and get used to riding here and he’s done exceptionally well. Yes, a win or a podium would’ve been great but these things happen. He’ll be back out on Monday and I think a good result is certainly possible. “

26-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Website Find Reply