Double Win And Series Lead At Cadwell For Smiths Racing Team
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Double Win And Series Lead At Cadwell For Smiths Racing Team
[Image: smithsgloucesterlogo.jpg]

The Smiths Racing Team were back in action at round eight of the Motorpoint British Supersport Championship over the Bank Holiday weekend and the Cadwell Park circuit in Lincolnshire proved to be a very successful venue for the Gloucester-based squad.

On the same weekend they unveiled a new partnership with Finning UK and CAT, Aussies Glen Richards and Billy McConnell shared the two race wins as McConnell kept his outside hopes of the title alive with a superb victory in Sunday's sprint race but the win for Richards in Monday's feature race was particularly sweet as it saw him lead the series for the first time this season.

With Richards, Luke Mossey and McConnell securing a first ever 1-2-3 to box out the front row for the team in qualifying aboard their 675cc Triumphs, Sunday's 10-lap race saw Richards grab the lead before McConnell hit the front on lap four. Richards broke the lap record but slipped back due to a radiator problem and had to settle for a third place finish behind McConnell and rival Christian Iddon as Mossey ended up in fifth.

Monday's 15-lap race started in damp conditions but with a rapidly drying track Richards moved to the front on the second lap and despite coming under extreme pressure throughout the race from both Iddon and Richard Cooper, he held on masterfully for his sixth win of the season. McConnell and Mossey took fourth and fifth to complete an excellent weekend for the team and with main title rival Jack Kennedy only finishing seventh, it also meant Richards took over at the top of the table with four rounds remaining.

Despite suffering a heavy crash in Saturday's free practice session, Johnny Blackshaw qualified in sixth place for the Metzeler National Superstock 600 Championship race and a great start saw him running in third place for the first half of the race only to retire with a steering problem.

Glen Richards:

"To come away with a first and third place, as well as the championship lead is brilliant and I'm over the moon with how the weekend's gone. I had a small problem in the first race with the bike running a bit hot, which turned out to be a holed radiator, but I was able to hold onto the final podium spot and claw a few points back on Jack. Then when I saw he was running an intermediate tyre on Monday, I knew it was vital I finished ahead of him and finished well. It was greasy off line so I concentrated really hard and tried to ride as controlled a race as possible and it all worked out perfectly. It's only a slight lead but it's the first time I've been there all season so long may it continue."

Billy McConnell:

"It was fantastic to get back to winning ways on Sunday and claim a few points back and although I couldn't repeat it on Monday, I'm still in there fighting. The fourth place finish was my fault as I made a few mistakes and ran off line a couple of times where it was still damp so I lost a bit of ground and any chance I had of getting on the podium once more. The bike's working well and there's still plenty of races left so we can go to Donington, where we had a good ride in the World Supersport Championship earlier in the year, in a good frame of mind. I'll keep chipping away and, hopefully, more wins will come my way."

Luke Mossey:

"Cadwell's not really my type of circuit as it's tight and twisty and I prefer faster, more flowing circuits so to come away with a brace of fifths is very pleasing. I was happy with how qualifying went and although I couldn't get onto the podium this weekend, I'm pleased with how I rode and with the haul of points whilst the fastest lap of the race in Monday's race was an added bonus. The next few circuits suit my style a lot more so I'm very hopeful of continuing the form there and getting back onto the podium."

Johnny Blackshaw:

"The race couldn't have been going any better for me but on lap nine, the handlebars locked on me on two occasions and I had no option other than to retire. The big crash on Saturday set me back a bit so the steering issue could have been a result of that and it's a great shame as our pace was really strong. It's disappointing but I was pleased with how I was riding, putting in some consistent lap times and a definite podium position was on the cards so we'll take the positives from the weekend and look forward to the next round at Donington."

Rebecca Smith, Team Manager:

"It's pretty much been a faultless weekend and we've had no major issues at all. All the little problems were ironed out during practice and from that moment on, the boys were able to concentrate on racing and that was borne out in both the results and in the championship positions. To take both the Supersport race wins and come away with the championship lead is just reward for the hard work of all the team and it's been a brilliant effort by everyone concerned. The only disappointment of the weekend was Johnny being forced to retire and it was a really cruel end to his race as he was riding really well."

Motorpoint British Supersport Championship Race 1 - 10 laps

1 Billy McConnell (Smiths Racing Triumph)
2 Christian Iddon (Triumph)
3 Glen Richards (Smiths Racing Triumph)
4 Jack Kennedy (Yamaha)
5 Luke Mossey (Smiths Racing Triumph)
6 Richard Cooper (Triumph)

Motorpoint British Supersport Championship Race 2 - 15 laps

1 Glen Richards (Smiths Racing Triumph)
2 Christian Iddon (Triumph)
3 Richard Cooper (Triumph)
4 Billy McConnell (Smiths Racing Triumph)
5 Luke Mossey (Smiths Racing Triumph)
6 Ben Wilson (Kawasaki)

Championship standings (after 8 rounds)

1 Richards 275pts
2 Kennedy 265.5pts
3 McConnell 228
4 Wilson 185
5 Iddon 154.5
6 Mossey 141

Metzeler National Superstock 600cc Championship (9 laps)

1 Lee Jackson (Kawasaki)
2 Joe Collier (Triumph)
3 James Rose (Yamaha)
4 Ben Grindrod (Kawasaki)
5 Josh Wainwright (Kawasaki)
6 Alex Olsen (Triumph)
DNF Johnny Blackshaw (Smiths Racing Triumph)

Championship standings (after 10 rounds)

1 Burke 154pts
2 Rose 146
3 Jackson 129
4 Dixon 110
5 Lodge 82
6 Whitaker 79
9 Blackshaw 72

28-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Website Find Reply