Double Win For Irwin, More Points For Nally
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Double Win For Irwin, More Points For Nally
[Image: cnracinglogo.jpg]

The Hebden Bridge-based CN Racing team had another good weekend with both Glenn Irwin and Cody Nally having strong rides in both the Motorpoint British Supersport Cup and Metzeler National Superstock 1000 Championship respectively at Cadwell Park this bank holiday weekend.

Having qualified on the fourth row of the grid for Sunday's race, Irwin got a solid start and although he briefly dropped back down the order, he was able to regroup and fight his way back through the pack to claim a ninth place finish and yet another victory in the Cup competition.

Monday's race, held in damp conditions, was almost identical for the Ulsterman although this time he was inside the top ten from the off. Up to eighth by half race distance, Glenn, aboard the MET Healthcare and Megastore 247-sponsored Yamaha R6, got pushed back to ninth in the final third of the race which is where he finished for his second top ten finish of the weekend and with it, his second Cup win. With chief rival Luke Jones absent due to injury, Irwin's lead in the Motorpoint British Supersport Cup now stands at 80.5 points with four rounds remaining.

Nally was in superb form during practice and qualifying and started from a career best of sixth place on the grid with the Athlone, County Westmeath rider confident of securing his first top ten finish of the season. With a heavy rain shower just before the race started, tyre choice was going to be crucial and although a good start saw the tall Irishman consolidate his sixth place on the ten-Kate tuned Honda Fireblade, he gradually slipped back as the race wore on and a dry line appeared. He battled gamely to the end and was rewarded with 12th place and four more championship points at the end of the 14-lap race.

Third, and newest, team member, Michael Howarth, failed to qualify but a last minute reprieve saw him line up at the back of the grid after a couple of riders dropped out. Despite missing morning warm-up, the ex professional rugby league player from Todmorden put in a battling ride to take 27th place to gain his first finish of the season.

Glenn Irwin:

"It's been a good weekend and I've achieved what I came here to do which was primarily to take the Cup wins and consolidate my lead in that championship. I've made steady improvements all weekend and got faster with each session whilst bringing in Craig Fitzpatrick to work with the chassis has been a huge help. The whole team have worked fantastically well this weekend and we've made significant steps forward with the bike so I'm confident we can get in amongst the top six next time out. I'd also like to dedicate this weekend's results to Ben Gautrey and his family, a year after he sadly lost his life."

Cody Nally:

"I'm disappointed with the end result as up until the race it had been a brilliant weekend. Qualifying couldn't have gone any better and having placed sixth, I was confident of challenging for a top four finish. But when the rain came we just didn't get the suspension on the bike softened up enough and although I made a good start, I steadily went backwards. 12th and more points are something but it's a bit frustrating given where we qualified. We've got the bike working really well and testing at Donington recently was equally positive so we'll hope for a dry weekend there and get the result we deserve."

Michael Howarth:

"Qualifying was a bit of a nightmare with the changing weather conditions and although Q1 went in my favour, it was the opposite for Q2 and I got pushed off the grid. It wasn't until 12pm on race day that I knew I'd be racing so with no warm-up it was a bit of an uphill battle. I had a really good start though and got up to 24th but then I hurt my neck going into the chicane and it made the second half of the race a struggle. I kept going though and finished 28th so with it only being my second time on the bike, I'm pleased to have got a finish under my belt and will now look forward to moving up the field at Donington."

Julia Taylor, Team Principal:

"Overall, we're pleased with how the weekend's gone. Glenn had no major problems at all and it's been a good, confidence boosting weekend with him with two Cup wins and two top ten finishes being the ideal result. He's back in his happy zone and did exactly what he needed to do this weekend. Cody was fantastic in qualifying and it's just a pity the weather on race day spoiled his result but he still finished well and he's got a good platform to build on next time out so we're confident he can finish firmly inside the top ten. Howie, meanwhile, had a very good weekend and he's finished with a smile on his face. The weather beat us in qualifying but he got out there to race and getting a solid finish under his belt was just what he needed. All three riders finished their races well and are going home happy so we can't ask for any more than that."

Motorpoint British Supersport Championship Race 1 - 10 laps
1 Billy McConnell (Triumph)
2 Christian Iddon (Triumph)
3 Glen Richards (Triumph)
4 Jack Kennedy (Yamaha)
5 Luke Mossey (Triumph)
6 Richard Cooper (Triumph)
9 Glenn Irwin (Met Healthcare/Megastore 247 supported by CN Racing Yamaha)

Motorpoint British Supersport Championship Race 2 - 15 laps
1 Glen Richards (Triumph)
2 Christian Iddon (Triumph)
3 Richard Cooper (Triumph)
4 Billy McConnell (Triumph)
5 Luke Mossey (Triumph)
6 Ben Wilson (Kawasaki)
9 Glenn Irwin (Met Healthcare/Megastore 247 supported by CN Racing Yamaha)

Championship standings (after 8 rounds)
1 Richards 275pts
2 Kennedy 265.5pts
3 McConnell 228
4 Wilson 185
5 Iddon 154.5
6 Mossey 141
10 Irwin 94

Metzeler National Superstock 1000cc Championship (14 laps)
1 Keith Farmer (Kawasaki)
2 Joe Burns (Kawasaki)
3 Jason O'Halloran (Honda)
4 Adam Jenkinson (Honda)
5 Lee Costello (Kawasaki)
6 Howie Mainwaring (BMW)
12 Cody Nally (CN Racing Honda)
27 Michael Howarth (CN Racing Honda)

Championship standings (after 10 rounds)
1 Farmer 156pts
2 O'Halloran 146
3 Cox 105
4 Storrar 105
5 Brogan 91
6 Johnson 90
24 Nally 9

28-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Website Find Reply