Simpson 14th in Junior Manx Grand Prix
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Simpson 14th in Junior Manx Grand Prix
[Image: splitlathredmondlogo.jpg]

SPLITLATH Redmond rider John Simpson has crossed the line 14th in today’s Junior Manx Grand Prix race.

The 21-year-old from Northern Ireland made up for the disappointment of retiring from Saturday’s Newcomer race as he took to the famous Mountain course at the Isle of Man.

Following yesterday’s postponement thanks to inclement weather, the riders were greeted with a bright, sunny and warm day on the island.
Although some clouds had gathered ahead of the race, which got underway at 2.45pm this afternoon, there was no rain and the course remained dry for the four lap race.

As the 21st rider away, Simpson made his customary steady start, quickly making up some time and running most of the first lap in 16th spot.

Pitting at the end of Lap Two, the team made a faultless stop and Simpson re-joined in 15th place. From there he had a solid, quick run for the final two laps, upping his pace as he felt more and more comfortable with the bike and the course.

Crossing the line 14th out of 70 finishers, a delighted Simpson said:

“That was great, I’m well happy with that, it makes up for not finishing the race on Saturday. “I took it steady on the first lap to get a look at what the course was like, and then cranked it up a bit on the second. In the back of my mind I was thinking a little bit about what happened on Saturday so when I pitted and the guys said everything was good, I knew it was time to push. “My third lap was pretty strong but I think I saved my best until the last one. I had a really great lap, and I was pushing and pushing. I really enjoyed it and I can’t be upset with a 14th. It’s a great result for my first race finish at the Isle of Man and a great start for me.

“I’ve got to thank the guys in the team – Jinksy, Kev and Brian – they’ve worked flat out on the bike since Saturday and they pulled off a brilliant pit stop. I couldn’t have done it without them, and I think this result is a brilliant boost for all of us and puts us in good stead for the Senior on Friday.”

[Image: johnsimpson3.jpg]

Splitlath Redmond co-owner John Dimbylow added:

“This is a great result for Johnno, it’s what everyone in the team needed. We need to remember that this event was really just a chance for him to get a look at the course ahead of next year’s TT.

“No-one in the team has put any pressure on him for results, but to see how fired up and excited he’s been about racing here has been impressive. I really believe he has a great future ahead of him on the roads and I’m over the moon to see how well he’s done today.”

Simpson will be back out in action later this week when the Manx GP Festival reaches its climax with the Senior Race on Friday.

pic by BHP Motorsport Photography

(This post was last modified: 28-08-2012, 06:08 PM by Malcolm.)
28-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Website Find Reply