Shakey '50/50' For Donington
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Shakey '50/50' For Donington
[Image: rapid-solicitors-kawasaki-header.jpg]

The Rapid Solicitors Racing Team heads to round nine of the 2012 MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at Donington Park this weekend with an outside chance that Shane Byrne may still be able to ride.

Shakey suffered an injury to his right shoulder during practice at Cadwell Park over the August bank holiday which not only ruled him out of that meeting, but necessitated surgery to repair the ligament damage sustained.

Following a visit to his medical advisors today, the double British Superbike champion was told that the injury was healing well and there was a possibility that he could race at Donington Park, but with only a maximum of six 'Podium Credits' up for grabs having qualified for The Showdown which begins at Assen later this month, the Isle of Sheppey rider rates his chances of competing as '50/50'.

"There's no point in riding if I'm not able to challenge for Podium Credits as I risk doing further damage if things go wrong," said Shakey. "I'll see how I feel in a day or two before making a final decision along with the team but at present, it's probably 50/50 as to whether I ride or not. There's nothing like being on the bike but at the same time, I've got to look at the bigger picture and ask myself if it's better to come back fitter at Assen in a couple of weeks time. The worst case scenario is I'll be 15 points behind Tommy Hill going into the first of the Showdown races but every point is vital as was proved last year so if I can ride and be competitive, I will do."

Team-mate Stuart Easton is aiming to bounce back from a disappointing showing at Cadwell Park which saw his outside hopes of claiming a Showdown place almost disappear so the Scotsman from Hawick is looking to salvage some pride in the remaining four rounds.

Ulsterman Keith Farmer extended his lead in the Metzeler National Superstock 1000 Championship to ten points over Australian rival Jason O'Halloran at Cadwell Park and the 'Clogher Bullet' is aiming to increase that advantage going into the final three rounds.

As well as the BSB activities at Donington Park, the PBM UK MotoGP team are also in action at round 13 of the MotoGP World Championship which takes place at Misano in Italy and will see Cumbria's James Ellison looking to get back to winning ways aboard the CRT-specification Aprilia ART.

06-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Website Find Reply