Ryan Farquhar signs off with tribute
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ryan Farquhar signs off with tribute
[Image: ryanfthanks.jpg]

Ryan Farquhar and John Burrows hailed the memory of the late Trevor Ferguson at an emotional final road race of the 2012 Irish season at Killalane.

In a touching tribute to the man who lost his life during the Supertwin race at the Manx Grand Prix, his nephew Farquhar and good friend Burrows rode his machines on a lap of the circuit and, though Ryan had already announced his retirement shortly after the accident, Burrows used the occasion to reveal: “This lap is the last time I will sit on the grid at a race.

“Road racing has been good to me, but I have lost a lot of good friends. Trevor was a special friend. I have a young child and, with another on the way, I feel this is the time to stop racing.”

Elsewhere, there was treble success for William Dunlop in the 125GP, 250GP and Supersport races, while brother Michael picked up a big bike double by winning the Open Championship race and Grand Final.

After cruising to a four second win over Derek Sheils and Brian McCormack in the Open race, Michael found himself behind the same duo in the opening laps of the Grand Final before stamping his authority on the race to win easily from Michael Pearson and Jamie Hamilton.

William, meanwhile, won the Supersport race from his sibling and Pearson before coming from the back row of the grid to beat Ed Manley and Davy Morgan in the 250GP race.

He completed his treble in a comfortable 125GP victory in which young Ballyclare rider Hamilton — who went on to win the Supertwin race — finished second.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]

by Roy Harris

13-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Website Find Reply