MARTIN DOMINATES HENSHAW GOLD CUP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
MARTIN DOMINATES HENSHAW GOLD CUP
[Image: tycotashdr1.jpg]

Tyco Suzuki's Guy Martin wrapped-up his 2012 international road racing season in dominating style in the UK this weekend with five race wins at Oliver's Mount in Scarborough and most-importantly, the GSX-R-mounted Lincolnshire rider raised aloft the coveted Steve Henshaw International Gold Cup trophy earlier today.

It's the first time the trophy has been won by Northern Ireland-based TAS Racing, much to the delight of team manager Philip Neill, and but for an intermittent electrical problem that forced Martin to retire from the lead of the David Jefferies' Supersport race, it could have been six wins from six starts.

Guy Martin:

"It's been a great day and nice to get my hands back on the Gold Cup for the eighth time. I enjoyed the battle with McGuinness and Co. for the win, which made it that little bit more special, and to give Tyco Suzuki their first win is mint. The boys always put in a big effort for me so they really deserve it and the big Suzuki never missed a beat. We almost, almost had the clean sweep only for what I believe to be a tilt switch problem that caused the bike to cut out in the last race. She was grand when I got her back up onto the fat of the tyre, but it was too risky to take a chance with it. We'll be happy with our lot: five wins is not to be sniffed at."

[Image: guygoldcupwin2012.jpg]

Philip Neill - Team Manager:

"What a fantastic weekend for Guy and everyone involved with Tyco Suzuki. It's a great way for him to finish his season. As the saying goes: 'you're only as good as your last race meeting' and that will surely give him a big boost after winning the Ulster Grand Prix Superbike race last month.

"We've been looking to get to Scarborough this past three or four years and challenge for the Gold Cup but for one reason or another it never happened. It's nice to finally win it, especially for our new sponsors Tyco in their first year with us. We certainly didn't expect to be as dominant and I wouldn't want to take the shine off such a tremendous performance, but it's a real shame the 600 starting cutting out in the last race, as we'd love to have won the David Jefferies' Trophy as he meant a lot to us as a rider. But a great weekend nonetheless. Well done to the whole team and thanks to Tyco, Suzuki and all our other loyal associate sponsors for their support all year."

16-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Website Find Reply