ALASTAIR SEELEY BLOG
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
ALASTAIR SEELEY BLOG
[Image: tycotashdr1.jpg]

Tyco Suzuki's Alastair Seeley reflects on a tough British Superbike event at Donington Park and looks forward to this weekend's 10th round at Assen in The Netherlands - the first time a BSB race has been held there.

My team Blogs seem to keep coming up after really tough weekends in the British Superbike Championship and this month is no different after what can only be described as a rubbish weekend for me at Donington Park.

In saying that, I completed a test at Silverstone just last week, where we changed my position on the big Suzuki, among a number of other bits and pieces, which will hopefully help me get back on the pace at Assen.

The test was pretty positive all round for me as we are at Silverstone straight after Assen, which is next up. I now have a much better feel for the bike. I'm able to get up over the front a whole lot easier and it's made me more comfortable with my riding position.

I didn't get over to Assen to test but my girlfriend Dani got me set up with the Playstation game to learn the circuit and I've also been on the simulator at 'Road to Race' at Eddie Irvine's place in Bangor. It's a fast flowing circuit, which I like, but it's looking like we'll be using the kerbs a lot. When I get there on the bike I'll just stay out for the first two sessions and really learn the place.

I normally pick-up circuits pretty quickly so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem for me. I've now got to forget about the top six, re-load and try to get in amongst those boys and show what I can do.

I just haven't got the momentum going this year in BSB. The silly front-end crashes I've been having, normally you can run and pick the thing up and get going again, but they have been causing more damage than a fast high-side to the bike, giving the boys a lot of work to do.

The idea now is to try and do what Michael Laverty did last year for Tommy Hill, only I'll be looking to help Josh try and win the Championship.

The big positive I've taken from Donington is saving that big slide down Craner Curves. It's the last place you'd want to bail off. I've had plenty of support from people ringing me and texting to say 'keep the head up,' but unlike 2010, I'm not letting my head drop this year.

I aim to finish the season strongly; well that's the plan anyway. I've not really had such a flat season before and I just keep reminding myself that we're all only as good as our last race. Thankfully the gap between weekends is short.

Take a look at John Hopkins in World Superbikes. Last season he was the best thing since sliced bread in BSB, but this year some critics say he's not, which is harsh: He's had a couple of injures and he's struggled to get his confidence back. That can only come for a rider by getting results.

After Donington I cleared my head by going out on Dani's brother's pushbike - even though it was about two sizes too big for me! I was just so determined to get some miles in, so I put on his size nine shoes with two pairs of thick socks and dropped the seat post right down through the frame.

It felt like I was climbing on to my Superbike, but once I got going it was great. I printed out a Google map from the Internet and kept an eye on the GPS on my phone and clocked up 30 miles. The only problem was, I never got to see any of the countryside, as I was so intent on not getting lost.

It's now a matter of going to Assen and getting a result on the Tyco Suzuki, and after the recent test I'm a lot happier and don't have to turn up with my tail between my legs.

18-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Website Find Reply