DIFFICULT DAY FOR SWAN YAMAHA AT ASSEN SHOWDOWN OPENER
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
DIFFICULT DAY FOR SWAN YAMAHA AT ASSEN SHOWDOWN OPENER
[Image: swanyamahahdr2012.jpg]

The Swan Yamaha team endured a difficult opening round to the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship Showdown at Assen today as Tommy Hill was struck by bad luck and was forced to retire from the opening race.

Hill had qualified on the front row but as he came to form up on the grid following the sighting lap he was hit by a mechanic which knocked him off the Swan Yamaha. The team worked hard to repair the stricken machine in the garage and Hill started from pitlane, however he was later forced to retire. In race two Hill had pushed hard over the opening laps to run third but was forced back to fourth on the final lap. Hill now lies third in the overall standings and 22 points adrift of leader Josh Brookes.

Noriyuki Haga had two top six finishes after working hard with the team throughout the weekend on the setting of his Swan Yamaha. The Japanese rider now feels confident looking ahead to Silverstone in just a few days time.

Hill said:

"It has been a difficult weekend. I was coming through the back of the grid in race one and it was pretty busy and a mechanic from another team didn't realise I was there and ran into me and it jammed the brake lever on. I went over the bars there was nothing that I could do about it. The bike went down, but the team did a great job to do a quick fix and get me out there. In the second race I knew I needed to score the points after the retirement in race one and I got up to speed and was pushing hard and got up to third but Shakey and Josh had got away a bit. I thought I could pull them in but then Alex (Lowes) put in a bit of a harsh move and that put me fourth. We now need to go to Silverstone and get back on the top step of the podium to get those points back in the standings.”

Haga said:

“I was feeling more comfortable today with the setting of the Swan Yamaha and it is a shame it has taken until this round to find this direction but it means I am happy for Silverstone. I am feeling positive as I could push harder today and we were nearer the front because I want to be on the podium again.”

Team manager Gary Ekerold concluded:

“It has been a difficult day at the office for Swan Yamaha. Tommy led by ten points coming into this round and leaves 22 behind however it is what happens by the time we reach the final round that counts. Now he just needs to get the Swan Yamaha back on the top step of the podium at Silverstone next weekend. Noriyuki had a better weekend and has found a good direction with the setting. The team now head back to England and hope we can return to winning ways at Silverstone in a few days time.”

23-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Website Find Reply