BROOKES LEADS BRITISH SUPERBIKE SERIES
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
BROOKES LEADS BRITISH SUPERBIKE SERIES
[Image: tycotashdr1.jpg]

Tyco Suzuki's Josh Brookes charged into the lead of the British Superbike Championship with a forceful display of riding aboard his GSX-R1000 at yesterday's 10th round at the TT Circuit at Assen in the Netherlands.

In a first venture outside the UK for the hotly-contested BSB series - and the first round of the end-of-season "Showdown" events that pits the top six riders of the series against each other to win the title - Brookes moved from third to first place in the championship with a thrilling victory in race two.

The Australian, who finished the opening race in second place, now leads the championship on 570 points, two ahead of Shane Byrne (Kawasaki) with defending champion Tommy Hill (Yamaha) third on 548 with two rounds and five races remaining.

The Northern Ireland-based Tyco Suzuki/ TAS Racing team also tasted success in the Supersport class as American teenager PJ Jacobsen made his debut on the 2011 British Supersport Championship-winning GSX-R600 and raced to victory in the second race.

Josh Brookes:

"We suffered a bit with chatter here this weekend and tyre wear but we just managed it and found a set up where we could do the lap times that were good enough to win the second race. We did make a few small changes for race two which gave me better performance on the GSX-R1000, and I was able to run the race to Shakey. I was always going to try and make the pass, just didn't expect it to come down to the final chicane, but it was a good weekend and thanks to the whole team for the effort."

[Image: brooksatassen.jpg]

PJ Jacobsen:

"On Sunday we had a way better tyre and set up of the bike, and like Philip told me, I just put Saturday's result in the box and forgot about the disappointment. I knew the second race would go down to the wire and I also know these boys can be super aggressive so I had to give the same back. But I think I proved on Sunday that the Suzuki GSX-R600 is a top Supersport bike, and at a circuit where you are pretty much wide open for a lot of the lap."

Philip Neill - Team Manager:

"What a weekend. We love Holland! It was a difficult enough start for everyone with limited testing and a different type of circuit to deal with. The boys in the garage worked extra hard this weekend to find a set up that gave enough tyre life for a race duration. This is like the start of the championship now for me - like round one - so there is plenty of work to do, but to come away just a few points in front of Shakey and have pulled a bit of a gap on Tommy Hill, we have to be pleased.

"On Saturday we got it a little wrong in the first 600 race but the boys made the right decision for race two on Sunday and we knew PJ would have the pace on the GSX-R600 to be up there. It was a great race and nice to see him winning at the next level in British championship."

BSB Race 1:

1. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
2. Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +4.731s
3. Alex Lowes (WFR Honda) +4.881s
4. Luca Scassa (Padgetts Honda) +9.327s
5. Noriyuki Haga (Swan Yamaha) +10.024s
6. Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) +11.026s
7. Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) +11.538s
8. James Westmoreland (WFR Honda) +17.160s
9. Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +23.137s
10. Robin Harms (Doodson Motorsport Honda) +23.292s

BSB Race 2:

1. Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki)
2. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.246s