Lowes dominates Silverstone BSB
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Lowes dominates Silverstone BSB
[Image: wfrlogo.jpg]

Isn’t it always the way? You wait all year for a British Superbike win then two come along at once.

Alex Lowes rounded off a ‘perfect’ weekend at Silverstone for himself and Team WFR today (Sunday) as he claimed his second British Superbike win after topping all three practice sessions, warm up and storming to a maiden victory in Race 1.

Race 2

Starting from 3rd on the grid for Race 2 Alex once again didn’t set the world alight with his start but, with what is rapidly becoming the story of his Showdown campaign from there Alex went from strength to strength.

After settling into 4th by lap 2 Alex soon put a move on Josh Brookes to climb to 3rd. Then, on lap5, Shane Byrne had a ‘moment’ that made him sit up and also allow Alex to come through into 2nd.

Over the remaining 9 laps a thrilling race unfolded as Alex, Brookes, Byrne and Michael Laverty traded places a number of times with Alex managing to lead the race briefly before having a ‘moment’ of his own.

By the final lap Alex had fended off late pressure from Brookes to guarantee second place and was now right on the back of race leader Byrne, but as the pair entered the final corner Alex lined himself up for a pass on the exit and managed to squeeze past Shakey just as they crossed the finish line to win in dramatic style.

[Image: alowes2silverstone2012.jpg]

Following his second consecutive race win Alex said: "I was happy enough with a win in the first race so to do the double is mega. I got into a rhythm and then I made a mistake onto the straight and I lost some time. On the last lap I knew I could turn in tight and I managed to get down the inside of Shakey and that was what we needed to do. We just scraped into the Showdown so I am still taking it one race at a time and we will see if we can do the same again at Brands Hatch."

Alex’s double victory puts him into 3rd in the Championship Showdown and just 24 points of Shane Byrne at the top.

James Westmoreland remains on course for some silverware of his own as he romped home to another top-10 finish to extend his lead over 8th placed Noriyuki Haga to 20 points.

Westy made a terrific start and once again looked like he might be in the hunt for his first BSB podium, but as some determined ‘Title Fighters’ came through James fell back to 9th where he finished the race.

If he can finish 7th in the overall championship standings Westy will take home the Riders’ Cup, the trophy for the highest placed rider outside of the Showdown.

Following the team’s first British Superbike wins Team WFR Managing Director Myles Schofield said: “What can I say? To get the team’s first win in British Superbikes at Silverstone was unbelievable but to come away with a double victory is out of this world.

“The emotion running through the team at the end of the first race was enough for one day, but when Alex went and did it again, and in such dramatic fashion, we didn’t know whether to laugh or cry – so I think we did both.”

Race 2 Results

1. Alex Lowes – Team WFR
2. Shane Byrne – Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki
3. Josh Brookes – Tyco Suzuki

9. James Westmoreland – Team WFR

The final round of the British Superbike Championship will take place at Brands Hatch 13/14th October.

30-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Website Find Reply